Using ASP.NET Configuration Tool Remotely?

Jonathan Wood

The ASP.NET Configuration tool is great for quickly managing users in the
database on my development machine.

However, I don't see a way to use it to access the database on my Web
server. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Michael Nemtsev

Ask your provider if he gives u such functionality. But actually it's not

btw, your can upload config and database to the hoster via "Publish" in VS
after your made changes in your environment

Jonathan Wood

Thanks, but I don't understand why the ASP.NET configuration tool can't log
on remotely (which is supported by my hosting provider) and making whatever
changes it would make locally. Both are SQL Server databases. One is just
connected to remotely.

I'm not sure what you mean about uploading the config and database. I
wouldn't want to upload the database because it would overwrite the live
version. And I'm not sure what changes to the config I would be making.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

Michael Nemtsev said:
Ask your provider if he gives u such functionality. But actually it's not

btw, your can upload config and database to the hoster via "Publish" in VS
after your made changes in your environment

--
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
Blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

Jonathan Wood said:
The ASP.NET Configuration tool is great for quickly managing users in the
database on my development machine.

However, I don't see a way to use it to access the database on my Web
server. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Michael Nemtsev

It can, but the security is the major conserns of hosters.
Why to provide this to you, when you can upload all your changes via FTP?!

If you need to make changes in live DB, then download your live DB to your
local env, make changed, and upload back.

All changes in config can be easily tracked by comparing two configs :)

I understand your concerns that it's not very usable, but hosters rely more
on security rather on usability to config your site
--

Jonathan Wood said:
The ASP.NET Configuration tool is great for quickly managing users in the
database on my development machine.

However, I don't see a way to use it to access the database on my Web
server. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Jonathan Wood

I can log onto my database using SQL Server Management Studio and modify the
database. I'm thinking I can do this by changing the provider settings for
the membership stuff in my config file. But I'm also thinking it might just
be easier to write a little code and uploaded.

Oh well. <g>

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

:

The ASP.NET Configuration tool is great for quickly managing users in
the
database on my development machine.

However, I don't see a way to use it to access the database on my Web
server. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Scott Roberts

It can. The config tool uses the same web.config as your web application.
Just change the web.config of your web site then start the config tool.

Change the ConnectionString pointed to by your membership default provider.

Jonathan Wood

Thanks Scott, I've actually figured this out since my original post. In the
end, I found it easier to create a simple ASPX page that does what I need on
the server. But, yes, the ASP.NET Configuration tool uses the LocalSqlServer
connection string from the project's web.config file.

Jonathan Wood

Yes, in the end, it was easier just to write my own. But, as discussed in
other posts, the tool can be used to access remote databases.

Thanks.