using filesystem>app_data or sql database as data store

Andy B

I am trying to figure out what data store would be more practicle for what I
am trying to do. At this time, I am trying to figure out where to store
customers completed contracts for hire. The choices are app_data folder or
sql server database. This is what I do know:

1. The security of the documents is VERY critical in order to comply with US
federal and local state laws as well as customer and business privacy.
2. The documents will be digitally signed by both parties.
3. The documents will be stored in xml format
4. The documents will be queried for statistical information as well as
other things.
5. At some point, the entire document will be retreived for display and
editing.
6. Membership access will be needed in order to access the documents. Each
user can only access their own documents (customers accessing their
contracts).

These are the basic ideas for this service. What one would you recommend?