Using sound files in programs

T Lariviere

ThL a écrit :
Hi everyone,
As an old Amos Pro basic for Amiga programmer, I've decided to go back
to coding, after giving up, 12 years ago.
I don't know which of the following languages would suit best my project
: Visual Basic (6 or .net), Java or even php.
Here's what I have in mind : create a program that plays a short sound
sampls (2 seconds max.) and the asks the user to match it with 4
possible sound files (he'd have to click on 4 icons, linked to a
different sound sample).
It's in fact a sort of music test.
I'd like to know who could tell me which language would be best-suited
(and would be the easiest to use), knowing that I'm a very rusty
programmer (but a very strong-willed one too !). I'd also like to know
if there's any coding available which could import and manipulate sound
samples. I've even thought of plugins which would use external players
like winamp or windows media player.
Many thanks in advance for your kind and precious help or at least for
your comments.
Thierry
Well I never expected so many replies to my original question. And
instructive ones in particular !
The java community is just like what a friend described : vast and
friendly !
I'll now start my investigation following the tracks you kindly set for me.
Thank you all !
Thierry