VHDL code to schematic generator

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by pigeglad, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. pigeglad

    pigeglad Guest

    Hello group

    I'm reviewing a design with more than 170 VHDL files (2.4 MB), and I could
    strongly benefit from a tool that can generate a schematic based on the VHDL
    files.

    Is there a program that can help me and can you perhaps recommend one?

    Thanks in advanced

    Jan

    pigeglad, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Consider reviewing the simulation testbench first.
    That will tell you more about the design than
    a graphic with hundreds of boxes and thousands
    of wires.

    If you have modelsim, take a look at
    View, Dataflow once you have some waveforms up.

    You can drag in a wave and get an extendable schematic view
    of the processes in the neighborhood. You can even
    watch the data values change as you move the
    waveform cursor.

    -- Mike Treseler

    David R Brooks, Nov 5, 2003
  4. pigeglad

    VhdlCohen Guest

    Since you guys are listing the possible tools, let me throw in
    Cadence NC-Sim
    @HDL @designer www.athdl.com
    Novas tools

    Ben Cohen Publisher, Trainer, Consultant (310) 721-4830
    http://www.vhdlcohen.com/
    Author of following textbooks:
    * Using PSL/SUGAR with Verilog and VHDL
    Guide to Property Specification Language for ABV, 2003 isbn 0-9705394-4-4
    0-9705394-2-8
    * Component Design by Example ", 2001 isbn 0-9705394-0-1
    * VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies, 2nd Edition, 1999 isbn 0-7923-8474-1
    * VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, 2nd Edition, isbn 0-7923-8115

    VhdlCohen, Nov 6, 2003
  5. pigeglad

    gary Guest

    gary, Nov 9, 2003
  6. pigeglad

    Alan Fitch Guest

    I can't recommend one, but I have heard of a tool called
    "HDL Companion" recently, which claims to do what you describe.

    Also I think Mentor's HDL Designer can do that.

    regards

    Alan

    --
    Alan Fitch
    Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project
    Services

    Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24
    1AW, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:

    Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:
    http://www.doulos.com

    the
    views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

    Alan Fitch, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Try the Xilinx ISE webpack. I think this feature is included (it's in the
    commercial verion, i'm not sure about the Webpack)

    Mark

    Mark van de Belt, Nov 20, 2003