Vista, VS2005, ie.. 6?

Guest

Hi guys

Okay, I've been developing a website in Visual Studio 2005, using the built
in server. It's been fine.

However, my CSS doesn't work properly in IE6, which I only found out when I
installed the website somewhere else.

The problem... you can't install IE6 on Vista, correct?

I tried downloading Virtual PC 2007 and an XPSP2 with IE6 vhd (as described
in http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2007/04/25/111972.aspx).

That works, but from the Virtual PC, I can't access the
http://localhost:49184/ server being run by Visual Studio.

How can I get access to this? Or can anyone provide an alternative way to
test IE6 on vista? (I don't need to attach the debugger or anything, just
'see' it so I can tweak the CSS).

Thanks,

Dan

Michael Nemtsev, MVP

Hello musosdev,

http://www.dotnetjohn.com/articles.aspx?articleid=66 "Debug remote process"
part

---
WBR,

m> Hi guys
m>
m> Okay, I've been developing a website in Visual Studio 2005, using the
m> built in server. It's been fine.
m>
m> However, my CSS doesn't work properly in IE6, which I only found out
m> when I installed the website somewhere else.
m>
m> The problem... you can't install IE6 on Vista, correct?
m>
m> I tried downloading Virtual PC 2007 and an XPSP2 with IE6 vhd (as
m> described in
m> http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2007/04/25/111972.aspx).
m>
m> That works, but from the Virtual PC, I can't access the
m> http://localhost:49184/ server being run by Visual Studio.
m>
m> How can I get access to this? Or can anyone provide an alternative
m> way to test IE6 on vista? (I don't need to attach the debugger or
m> anything, just 'see' it so I can tweak the CSS).
m>
m> Thanks,
m>
m> Dan
m>

Guest

Just a bit more info..

I can't access the ASP.NET Development Server if I try my machine name or IP
address, obviously I realise that localhost won't work because the VPC has
it's own localhost :)

So.. http://10.0.0.102:49184 gives a 404, as does http://laptop:49184/

I've switched off the proxy settings, and have set the network adapter up in
the VPC to use my wireless lan on the host machine.

Yet, still I cannot access the Development Server from IE6 in the VPC.

Any suggestions?

bruce barker

you problem is the ie vpc firewall blocks all but port 80. you can build
a new virtual machine (if you have an xp distribution), or run iis on
you dev box to test from the vpc.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. I've installed IIS7 and, after much faffing, I now
have my website appearing on that, with an sql error, which I'll post about
in a seperate thread.

Thanks for the info on the vpc thing. I actually tried the dev server on
port 80, but still couldn't access it from the vpc with http://myip/ - still,
I am getting somewhere.