Visual Modelling Tool

Rizwan

I am looking for a modelling tool to use with my java project. Which
modelling tool is popular in the java community. What do you guys recommend?

Also what do you guys think about Rational Rose?

Thanks

Alex Hunsley

Rizwan said:
I am looking for a modelling tool to use with my java project. Which
modelling tool is popular in the java community. What do you guys recommend?

Dunno. Tell us what you're modelling.
Also what do you guys think about Rational Rose?

It has never hurt me or my family. Beyond that.... can't say.

Edward H. Fabrega

Rizwan said:
I am looking for a modelling tool to use with my java project. Which
modelling tool is popular in the java community. What do you guys
recommend?

Also what do you guys think about Rational Rose?

Thanks

Check out Visual Paradigm if you're just learning UML. The Community Edition
is free, and if you like the program you can upgrade to more feature rich
editions (the most exensive being $699):

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/vpuml.php

IchBin

--
Visual Paradigm is nice and I have the Eclipse Plug-in for it.

I also found a different completely free version that does all that with
full functionally. It has small memory footprint. It is free! I heard
about it from these java newsgroups. It is call "Jude", can find at:
http://objectclub.esm.co.jp/Jude/

I am very happy with it.

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin

'Laughter is inner jogging'
- Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)

Bryce

Check out Visual Paradigm if you're just learning UML. The Community Edition
is free, and if you like the program you can upgrade to more feature rich
editions (the most exensive being $699):

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/vpuml.php

Or try poseidon, commercial version much cheaper, and has a free
version too. There's also argouml that's opensource (poseidon is built
from that).

I personally use MagicDraw. They have a free version as well.

Rizwan

I have downloaded ArgoUML and using it. Looks good although not as user
friendly as Rational Rose.

One thing I am looking for is an explanation of different types of
relationships (for example associations, generalizations etc.) and which one
to use in which context. It would be nice if I can get some simple examples
of them as well.

Rizwan

IchBin

Rizwan said:
I am looking for a modelling tool to use with my java project. Which
modelling tool is popular in the java community. What do you guys recommend?

Also what do you guys think about Rational Rose?

Thanks
Here is a list of all-most all the modeling tools out there:
http://www.objectsbydesign.com/tools/umltools_byCompany.html

I have a tendency to look at the free ones. I have been thru a few and
now using *Jude* at http://objectclub.esm.co.jp/Jude/jude-e.html

Has all you would need. It also does not hijack your pc machine/memory.
It is a Java application. Very slick and fast.

*Introduction*
Jude is a new tool which supports your object-oriented software
designing in JavaTM and UML1.4(Unified Modeling Language). We released
the "ume" version. And now we are releasing the "take" version for
free-download. We are going to add new functions in the later "take"
version.

*Basic Functions*
# Support of UML1.4
# Class Diagram
(Object, Package, Subsystem and Robustness Diagrams are included.)
# Usecase Diagram
# Sequence Diagram
# Collaboration Diagram
# Statechart Diagram
# Activity Diagram
# Deployment Diagram
# Component Diagram
# Generate Java source code from model.
# Import Java source files to create model.

*Features*
# "World Map View" - Capture a whole diagram and the current view area
mapped onto the diagram window.
# Scroll by hand tool.(Right-Mouse drag)
# Zoom by Ctrl + Mouse wheel.
# Multi-level undo/redo for unlimited times.
# Auto-layout to arrange and beautify diagrams.
# Auto-Create Class Diagram.
# Organize model as a package tree view and a class hierarchy tree view.
# Import model data from Rational Rose(by Rational Rose - Rose98 only).
# Generate text format diagrams - easy light-weight attachment to your
e-mail.
# 100% pure java application.

Also a good reference site "UML™ Resource Page"
http://www.uml.org/#Links-UML2Tools
--

Hope this Helps...
IchBin

'Laughter is inner jogging'
- Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)

Chris Uppal

Rizwan said:
One thing I am looking for is an explanation of different types of
relationships (for example associations, generalizations etc.) and which
one to use in which context. It would be nice if I can get some simple
examples of them as well.

Martin Fowler has a short, reader-friendly, book on UML, the name of which
escapes me. It is pleasantly free from pomposity and navel-gazing. It might
be the introduction you are looking for.

I should warn you that I've only read the first edition, UML has moved on since
then, and Fowler has a new edition of the book out, but I haven't read that.

-- chris

Bryce

Martin Fowler has a short, reader-friendly, book on UML, the name of which
escapes me. It is pleasantly free from pomposity and navel-gazing. It might
be the introduction you are looking for.

UML Distilled. Excellent book
I should warn you that I've only read the first edition, UML has moved on since
then, and Fowler has a new edition of the book out, but I haven't read that.

I believe its on its 3rd edition. Still good.