Visual Studio 2008 Webservice conversion problem

jms

Hi,

I have a problem that confounds me. We have made a decision to go with
Visual Studio 2008. I have a webservice that was working fine in our dev
environment under 2005. The webservice needs to be able to run on Windows
2000 servers and Windows 2003 so I made the decision to Target Framework
version 2.0. I uninstalled the Webservice on our test server and installed
the new one. The Test environment happens to be a Windows 2003 Server. I am
now failing with

Exception type: HttpParseException
Exception message: Could not create type

messages. Nothing has changed in the structure or the code. I simple
converted the project to 2008 and recompiled... Any help would be greately
appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

John Saunders

jms said:
Hi,

I have a problem that confounds me. We have made a decision to go with
Visual Studio 2008. I have a webservice that was working fine in our dev
environment under 2005. The webservice needs to be able to run on Windows
2000 servers and Windows 2003 so I made the decision to Target Framework
version 2.0. I uninstalled the Webservice on our test server and installed
the new one. The Test environment happens to be a Windows 2003 Server. I
am
now failing with

Exception type: HttpParseException
Exception message: Could not create type

messages. Nothing has changed in the structure or the code. I simple
converted the project to 2008 and recompiled... Any help would be greately
appreciated.

Could not create type usually means that your code did not actually compile.

Did you create your projects using File->New Project, or File->New Web Site?
Web Sites aren't projects, so they don't compile.

jms

John,

Thanks for the reply but I said nothing of Website. I have a webservice
project that was created under visual studio 2005. ASP.Net Webservice
application to be exact in case we are getting lost in semantics. I upgraded
the project to Visual Studio 2008 and targeted the Framework to 2.0 since it
needs to run on Windows 2000. There are no changes either code or directory
structure. IIS is configured for a 2.0 application. And yes to your last
question the code most certainly compiled prior to it being deployed.

One thing is interesting I have an installer project that was also upgraded
from VS 2005.. Maybe I will get rid of it and create a new Install project in
VS2008.

jms

I figured out what the issue was now I have to figure out why. The installer
project (also originally created in 2005 and upgraded) created an additional
bin directory which held the executable. The structure looked like this.

WebServiceFolder

Bin

Bin

Again, now changes were made to the application simply a rebuild after an
upgrade.