"Visual Studio.NET has detected that the specified web server is not running"

Mike Kingscott

Hi all,

Ok, I'm running Windows 2000, service pack 4. I have .Net framework
installed, version 1.1.4322, I'm running IIS 5.0. When I try to open a
solution that was opening just dandy last week, I get the error
"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
running ASP.NET version 1.1"

I HAVE ALREADY TRIED RUNNING aspnet_regiis -i (SEVERAL TIMES) WITH
*NO* LUCK

I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THE MAPPINGS FOR THE .NET FILES AND THEY'RE
FINE.

I *CAN* SURF TO http://localhost

Any other suggestions? The odd thing is, I have several sites set up
on my server, all running off different ports - they open fine. It's
just my standard port (port 80) and another port (815) that gives this
error, all other sites open fine.

Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope... ;-)

Kind regards,

Mike Kingscott

CT

Have you by any chance set the default redirection (defaultRedirect
attribute) in the customErrors tag of the Web.config file? If so, that
creates this poroblem, I'm afraid.

Mike Kingscott

Hi there,

Yes, I had set that... That may have been the problem, but I did a
re-install of the Visual Studio .Net's Web Development bits, and that
seems to have solved the problem...

Although, I'd be real interested in learning why defaultRedirect
stuffs it up...

Kind regards,

Mike K.

Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Try Running aspnet_regiis -r

Got the same thing after I re-installed VS2003 and tried to create a new web-site from scratch. Ran aspnet_regiis to reset any all entries to this version of ASP.NET. It worked!