Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not

Pat Lester

First of all......my environment is WinXP, IIS5.1, ASP.NET 1.1, Visual
Studio 2003

Ok. I know that I've messed something up but can't seem to put my finger on
it. I recently set up my IIS so that the default web site ends up pulling
the web site from a specified directory. Again, this is in the "Default Web
Site" configuration. Before I did this, I was able to open web projects at
will. Now, I cannot open any web project. I get the error....

"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
applications or services."

Windows projects open fine.

I have looked through the groups and have tried registering dll's, tried
aspnet_regiis with various arguments, have tried the suggested Get_aspx_ver
fix on microsoft.com, and nothing has worked yet.

One thing I thought might be suspect, when I look at the properties of
"Default Web Site" (also, I renamed "Default Web Site", don't know if that
might affect things but....)
there are no ISAPI Filters in the list.

Also, I can access the web site if I type in the full address, but if I type
"//localhost", that does not work anymore either.

If anybody has had the same problem, or any suggestions, PLEASE let me know.
I will continue working on it and post my results if I ever solve the
problem!

P.S. If im posting to the wrong newsgroup, just let me know. Thanks!

Pat Lester

This is horrible, simple change and everything is working now!!

In Default Web Site configuration, I had the IP Address set to my current IP
address. I changed this setting to "<All Unassigned>" and it has fixed the
problem. I have no clue how, but it did.

If anyone knows why this is the case, and has time, I'm always game for some
knowledge!

Random

I'm having the same problem you did, it sounds like. Unfortunately, my
Default Web Site is already set to IP <All Unassigned>, so I'm still stuck.