Web Deployment Projects (Remote server)

Stupid48

I like the web deployment projects add-in for VS 2005. The web.config
section replacement is especially useful. I'm a bit confused about an
aspect of this. We develop against remote web servers and Attach to
the remote debugger remotely. This whole deployment thing does not
take that into account (at least from I can undersstand).

In VS 2003, we could switch between release and debug on the same web
server and still run the site from the same virtual. Now when we
deploy is 2005, we have to deploy to either our home directory (where
the SLN file is) or deploy to another physical folder in our dev
server's web root (I found that it can't be a sub directory of the
debug folder). Another physical folder on the web server is fine but
I can't seem to figure out how the have the Build process create a
virtual on the remote server. I assumed that if I customized the Web
Deployment Project, I could specify the remote server to create the
virtual directory on but that doesn't seem to work. The Properties in
the specs shows "VirtualDirectoryServer" but that doesn't work. The
default value is 1 which I suspect is the problem. Is this doable or
is this thing geared toward a local web server?

Thanks, Chris