-----Original Message-----
From: Andy B [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:02 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Conversation: web deployment projects dont work?
Subject: web deployment projects dont work?

I tried to do web deployment projects and they dont work. Doesnt seem to

matter what I end up doing. Here are the errors I keep getting: Note...I

don't have IIS on my computer...

Error 1 It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error
can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application
in IIS. C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\EternityRecordsRoot\inhim\web.config 44 1 Root deployment
Warning 2 Cannot find any assemblies that can be merged in the
application
bin folder. ASPNETMERGE 1 1 InHim deployment

Andy B

It will be running on IIS eventually but I don't have it on the dev
computer. What should I do in that case?

Dave Bush

Sorry, I have a religious conviction against developing in a different
environment than I will be deploying in. Otherwise, I end up debugging
stuff in production that could have and should have been debugged while
I was creating the web application. Therefore I develop under IIS.

I know your problem is that you are trying to run the web.config in a
directory that your environment sees as a subdirectory instead of an
application directory. How to fix it without being in IIS I can't help
you with.

Is it possible that the parent directory is the main application
directory? In that case, you probably just have too much stuff in the
web.config file and you should remove the section(s) it complains about.

Dave Bush
http://blog.dmbcllc.com