Web derived controls in VS2005 designer view

postings

Hi

I'm more or less desperate here, I've posted this in a few forums now
over the months and got absolutely no response. It would be very much
appreciate that you could help in any way here... So take pity :)

I have a control derived from a drop down list written in VB.NET
(ASP.NET 2.0) that dynamically displays listitems retrieved from an SQL
server database. My code works fine but when I go to designer view in
Visual Studio 2005 it renders a gray box displaying: "Error Creating
Control - MyDropDownList, object reference not set to an instance of an
object". Note the drop down list works perfectly when being displayed
in IE.

If I remove my code retrieving the values from SQL server and put in
static values like this:
Me.Items.Add(New ListItem("Select a Value", "0"))
Me.Items.Add(New ListItem("Test", "1"))

....the drop down list will render in both the designer and IE. So I am
assuming that the VS2005 designer view will not render dynamic
listitems, but will render static listitems from dropdownlists.

In order to solve this problem I've looked at using:
Protected Overrides Sub Render(ByVal writer As
System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter)

....to see if I can force rendering in the design view but no joy at
all, so my approach isn't working here.

I don't really care if the designer renders the exact values from the
database, a couple of dummy values will do if necessary. I just want to
see the control is designer view.

So please - any words of wisdom!

Many thanks indeed...

Alex

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

IF Me.DesignMode = True THEN
'Use Static Values
Me.Items.Add(New ListItem("Select a Value", "0"))
Me.Items.Add(New ListItem("Test", "1"))
ELSE
'get from SQL Server
END IF

ovalsquare

Alex,

Did this solve it for you? As I've got the same problem and Steve's
solution does not fix the issue (still get the error in design view).

Ted

postings

Hi Oval

No it didn't unfortunately (thanks for trying Steve).
I see the logic in the code, and I can't see why it doesn't work.
Please let me know if you get any further than I did (is this a VS2005
IDE bug?).

Thanks

Alex