Web Scraping/Site Scraping

David Jones

Hi, I'm interested in learning about web scraping/site scraping using
Python. Does anybody know of some online resources or have any modules that
are available to help out. O'Reilly published an interesting book
"Spidering Hacks" which covered some great scraping hacks but it is all
written in Perl. I don't know Perl and don't want to. I'm new to
programing and have been advised to start with Python. So far so good ...
but need some help with web programming. Thanks for any help you may
provide. Dave.

John J. Lee

David Jones said:
Hi, I'm interested in learning about web scraping/site scraping using
Python. Does anybody know of some online resources or have any modules that
are available to help out. O'Reilly published an interesting book
"Spidering Hacks" which covered some great scraping hacks but it is all
written in Perl. I don't know Perl and don't want to. I'm new to
programing and have been advised to start with Python. So far so good ...
but need some help with web programming. Thanks for any help you may
provide. Dave.

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/
http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/bits/GeneralFAQ.html

I ported one of the examples from "Spidering Hacks" to my Python port
of mechanize. It's in the tarball here:

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/

John

Andrew Bennetts

Hi, I'm interested in learning about web scraping/site scraping using
Python. Does anybody know of some online resources or have any modules that
are available to help out. O'Reilly published an interesting book
"Spidering Hacks" which covered some great scraping hacks but it is all
written in Perl. I don't know Perl and don't want to. I'm new to
programing and have been advised to start with Python. So far so good ...
but need some help with web programming. Thanks for any help you may
provide. Dave.

For the HTML parsing part of the task, I've heard that Beautiful Soup works
well:
http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/

-Andrew.