Web Service giving The data at the root level is invalid error

Guest

I created a web service in visual studio 2003, tested it with a sample.xml
file from a vendor we are using, and it worked exactly like it should. I
depoloyed it to our server, created a project calling the webservice with
the sample.xml file, and again it worked. Now the vendor is calling the web
service from their application and receiving the following error, and stating
that there is something with the Web Service or the SOAP Client on my end
that is expecting the data differently then what it is :

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap:Body>
<soap:Fault>
<faultcode>soap:Server</faultcode>
<faultstring>Server was unable to process request. --> The data at the root
level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.</faultstring>
<detail />
</soap:Fault>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

Any suggestions?

John Saunders [MVP]

jmgro said:
[...]

Line 1, position 1 is the first character of the data. I suspect they aren't
sending any data, or are sending it in the wrong XML namespace.

You should use your favorite network monitoring tool to see the exchange
between the client and server, then look at it and see how it differs from
your expectations.

Guest

They state that something in my environment is stripping the xml, so that is
why I am receiving it incorrectly. My web service is running on Windows
Server 2003, my IIS version is 6.0.