Web Service Health and Status

Brian

We have a customer who desires a health and status meter
for the web services we are developing. We are reluctant
to add a custom method that a client calls that
essentially does nothing but tell the client we are
running. We also don't want to use 'ping' because it
doesn't really address whether the web service is
available.

Is there something else we can to to hit the web
server/web service without having to make a method call on
the web service? Does IIS support a mechanism to status
the web server/service from client software?

Any help would be great!

Jan Tielens

You could use the Enterprise Instrumentation Framework:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/enterprise/eif/

The Microsoft Enterprise Instrumentation framework (EIF) enables
applications built on the .NET Framework to be instrumented for
manageability in a production environment. This framework provides an
extensible event schema and unified API which leverages existing eventing,
logging and tracing mechanisms built into Windows, including WMI, the
Windows Event Log, and Windows Event Tracing. An application instrumented
with this framework can publish a broad spectrum of information such as
errors, warnings, audits, diagnostic events, and business-specific events.
In addition, Enterprise Instrumentation enables tracing by business-process
or application service, and can provide statistics such as average execution
time for a given process or service.

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens