Web service runs infinitely on IIS5.0 and .NET2.0 using windows 20

Tony

Hello, we have a Windows UI application which triggers an managed C#
code(executable) via a Async Webservice call.This managed C# executable does
a lot of number crunching and hence consumes a lot of CPU utilization for a
period of 2-3 mins.
Currently we poll a SQL server Db at regular (configurable) intervals to
poll the status of the above executable when the above managed code is
running, and display the status in the progress bar on the UI.
THis polling mechanism is syncrhronous i.e. via the Ui->Webservice(synch
calls every 20 secs) - >SQL DB.
Within the catch block of the synch call to the DB, we check for exceptions
and since there are times that resources are not avail due to HIGH CPU util,
the requests may be rejected... in some cases Worker process is recycled too.
At all cases of exception we wait for 20 seconds more using sleep and retry
the synch call to the db.

For 95% cases this works absolutely fine, but we are having issues on
certain production boxes where the worker process just hangs and does not do
anything.
Enabling trace and increasing execution timeout did not help. Currently we
poll every 20 secs . It fails to poll the SQL Sever DB to fetch the status.
A point to note is that this happens only when CPU util by the C# managed
code is very high.But we are unable to pinpoint the issue as to why this
happens on certain prodn boxes (we have multiple boxes for various
sites).Sometimes we do get a error in the event log , but not always. Also we
are not consistently able to reproduce the problem on such prodn boxes.....
Does anyone have any ideas of any possibilities where the issue maybe or is
DebugDiag.exe the only way out

hardware used if DELL Pentium HT processor
1GB RAM(of which 512 is reserved for SQL server)

software used in IIS5.0/Windows 2000 advanced server
..NET2.0 framework

here is the log

Source: ASP.NET.2.0.50727.0
Type: Warning
Event ID: 1073

Failed to process request.

Exception: System.Threading.ThreadAbortException
Message: Thread was being aborted.
StackTrace: at
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNoDemand(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32
iWRType)

Source: ASP.NET.2.0.50727.0
Type: Warning
Event ID: 1309

Event time: 1/21/2008 3:11:52 AM
Event time (UTC): 1/21/2008 8:11:52 AM
Event ID: 137fc1c8911748898ee606e2fe177c63
Event sequence: 5
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain:
/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS-60-128453767110015000
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS
Application Path: F:\RiteAidWeb\WebServices\WF\WFMSTRWS\
Machine name: 0181SC02

Process information:
Process ID: 4960
Process name: aspnet_wp.exe
Account name: 0181SC02\ASPNET

Exception information:
Exception type: ThreadAbortException
Exception message: Thread was being aborted.

Request information:
Request URL: http://sc02/WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS/WFST0001.asmx
Request path: /WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS/WFST0001.asmx
User host address:
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: 0181SC02\ASPNET

Thread information:
Thread ID: 1
Thread account name: 0181SC02\ASPNET
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep
step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
at
System.Web.HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)