web services, always work local?

Jeff Jarrell

I am coming from a shop that is historically is winforms and we work in our
own workareas on network drives. Primarily so the daily work gets backed up
but also so it is easy to look at each other's work in progress. we aren't
all in the same location. The version control and build tools are oriented
around this configuration.

We are finally moving towards some web services and after a couple of hours
it appears that the path of least resistance is to work locally. I tried
using local iis with virtual dirs pointing to the network shares but I keep
coming across this...

Error 1 An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to start
monitoring changes to '\\popeye\jarr\scServices\app_data' because the
network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this
error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a
UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.

I tried the registry patches mentioned in the KB, but it seems the error
ultimately comes back.

So do I just give up and work locally? Is that the convention?

thanks,
jeff