WebDev.WebServer.exe crashes

brent.adkisson

I am trying to use the ads web starter kit with sql2000. I have
migrated the database and all of the .net membership tables to my
database. I can connect and see the data through the visual web
developer 2005 express. I can connect using the asp.net application
administration tool in the browser. I can add and manage users roles
and other permissions. When I user ctrl + F5 from the visual web
developer the default page starts to load and then I get the error
WebDev.WebServer.exe has encountered an error.
The system event viewer log says

The following exception was thrown by the web event provider
'EventLogProvider' in the application '/ads_final' (in an application
lifetime a maximum of one exception will be logged per provider
instance):

System.Web.HttpException: The EventLogWebEventProvider provider failed
to log an event with the error code 0x800705DE.
at
System.Web.Management.EventLogWebEventProvider.ProcessEvent(WebBaseEvent
eventRaised)
at System.Web.Management.WebBaseEvent.RaiseInternal(WebBaseEvent
eventRaised, ArrayList firingRuleInfos, Int32 index0, Int32 index1)

I have reinstalled visual web developer, iis and .net 2.0 repeatedly.
Nothing seems to work.
I also have the sql2005 express install also. I first saw this issue
when I installed the sql server manager express. I have tried to
uninstall it but this also does not help.

thanks for the help in advance.

brent.adkisson

I have found in debug mode more information.

System.ArgumentException was unhandled
Message="Keyword not supported: '127.0.0.1;data source'."
Source="System.Data"
StackTrace:
at
System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ParseInternal(Hashtable
parsetable, String connectionString, Boolean buildChain, Hashtable
synonyms, Boolean firstKey)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions..ctor(String
connectionString, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean useOdbcRules)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String
connectionString)
at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String
connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous)
at
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(String
connectionString, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions,
DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions)
at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ConnectionString_Set(String value)
at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value)
at AdsDataComponentTableAdapters.AdsDataAdapter.InitConnection()
in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\ads_final\bee698e6\13af9ea7\App_Code.nq7efxkf.21.cs:line 1480
at AdsDataComponentTableAdapters.AdsDataAdapter.get_Connection()
in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\ads_final\bee698e6\13af9ea7\App_Code.nq7efxkf.21.cs:line 1368
at AdsDataComponentTableAdapters.AdsDataAdapter.InitAdapter() in
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\ads_final\bee698e6\13af9ea7\App_Code.nq7efxkf.21.cs:line 1438
at AdsDataComponentTableAdapters.AdsDataAdapter.get_Adapter() in
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\ads_final\bee698e6\13af9ea7\App_Code.nq7efxkf.21.cs:line 1358
at
AdsDataComponentTableAdapters.AdsDataAdapter.GetExpiredAds(DateTime
ExpirationDate, Int32 AdStatus) in
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\ads_final\bee698e6\13af9ea7\App_Code.nq7efxkf.21.cs:line 1779
at
AspNet.StarterKits.Classifieds.BusinessLogicLayer.Maintenance.CheckAdExpirations()
in c:\ads_final\App_Code\BLL\Maintenance.cs:line 182
at
AspNet.StarterKits.Classifieds.BusinessLogicLayer.Maintenance.HourlyMaintenanceTimer(Object
state) in c:\\ads_final\App_Code\BLL\Maintenance.cs:line 33
at System.Threading._TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(Object
state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object
state)

brent.adkisson

Well I guess it pays to keep digging. I found that following the debug
I had my connection string containing values that were not supported.
This causes the web server to crash.

I hope this post helps someone.