WebParts & Highend Portals

Victor Daicich

Hi guys, just a simple question.

I've been working with the webpart framework, and i know it can work for
anonymous users. So the question is, would you recommend in terms of performance
and scalability for the development of a 10.000/15.000 visitors per day site.
It's a public portal.

What would be your choice then if you have to work with that kind of portal,
keeping in mind something easy to customize for the end user as the webparts?

Thanks in advance,
Victor

Brennan Stehling

What are your concerns about WebParts for scaling?

That number of visits should be easily handled by a modern server with
a decent database server. It is true that as you move the WebParts
around the page to personalize placement that it will generate changes
in the database, but it will not cause a great deal more load on the
system than the typical ASP.NET page with databound controls.

The best thing you can do is run some stress tests and measure the
performance. When you do encounter a performance issue it is likely
you will be able to pinpoint the bottlenecks and eliminate them.

Brennan Stehling
http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/

Victor Daicich

Hello Brennan,

First of all thanks for your advice.

My concern is only a feeling right now, like you said I have yet to make
stress tests, and so on.

The reason for my question is that it was not an architecture for high traffic
sites, but more for a 300/500 user intranet or something like that.

But if you say it's only a matter of hardware and good architecturing/programming,
then I'll start testing the framework. I just wanted to check all alternatives
before going deeper.

Thanks again,
Victor