Webserver needs to be domain controller or just joind to domain?

Guest

Hi everyone,

I'm currently developing an intranet application for a company and I have an
informative question about the webserver.
Before users can access a certain webpage they must identify them by
entering their network credentials (logonid & password from AD) which are
then checked against Active Directory. If ok they are logged on.

For this to work is it enough to just join the webserver (Win2k3 IIS6) to
the domain or must the webserver also be a domain controller for this to work?

Thank you for helping me with this question. (I hope it's not a dumb one ;))

Kind regards,
Tom.

Mark Rae

For this to work is it enough to just join the webserver (Win2k3 IIS6) to
the domain or must the webserver also be a domain controller for this to
work?

No need for your webserver to be a domain controller. I'm doing something
very similar in my current contract.

Guest

Are there specific settings on the webserver I have to watch out for?

Thank you Mark for responding to my prev question.

"Mark Rae" schreef:

Guest

Thank you very much for answerring my questions.

Kind regards,
Tom.

"Mr Newbie" schreef:

Paul Clement

¤
¤ Hi everyone,
¤
¤ I'm currently developing an intranet application for a company and I have an
¤ informative question about the webserver.
¤ Before users can access a certain webpage they must identify them by
¤ entering their network credentials (logonid & password from AD) which are
¤ then checked against Active Directory. If ok they are logged on.
¤
¤ For this to work is it enough to just join the webserver (Win2k3 IIS6) to
¤ the domain or must the webserver also be a domain controller for this to work?

Adding the web server to the domain is sufficient. As a matter of fact I would highly recommend that
you don't use the domain controller to host your web server.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)