What all have you done with Ruby?

Sam

Being a new Ruby user, and a brand new programmer (which isn't working
out so well), I am curious as to what all everyone here is using Ruby
for. I am looking for some ideas as to what kind of programs I should
attempt to make so I though it would be cool if we could all discuss
what we have made with Ruby.

Thanks,
Sam

Eric Lavigne

Being a new Ruby user, and a brand new programmer (which isn't working
out so well), I am curious as to what all everyone here is using Ruby
for. I am looking for some ideas as to what kind of programs I should
attempt to make

You need some small problems for practice? You could try some Ruby
Quiz problems.

http://www.rubyquiz.com

It sounds like you also have another problem - no reason to be a
programmer in the first place. Why are you learning how to program? Is
there something that you want to create, or some problem that you wish
to solve, for which you think programming might help?
so I though it would be cool if we could all discuss
what we have made with Ruby.

Look around - this is already happening. Most of the conversations on
this mailing list are about some project that someone is working on.
No need to ask people to do what they are already doing - just join
in.

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

- C.A.R. Hoare -

Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality

Sam said:
Being a new Ruby user, and a brand new programmer (which isn't working
out so well), I am curious as to what all everyone here is using Ruby
for. I am looking for some ideas as to what kind of programs I should
attempt to make so I though it would be cool if we could all discuss
what we have made with Ruby.

Most of my Ruby programs are for administering data of some kind.
Sadly, I can't write a Ruby program to cook my breakfast. Some examples
that I can think of, off the top of my mind:

- Fixing my iTunes library so that all proper nouns have their prepositions
in lower case.
- Finding all duplicate files in a directory
- Writing a program that can perform a command-line action on every file in
a directory. Used for many things, such as renaming all images from my
digital camera from DSCF0001, DSCF0002, etc... to company_picnic_01,
company_picnic_01, etc...
- Renaming all my manga files and collecting them into .tar files by chapter
and then properly naming the .tar files, including the chapter name. Yes,
I'm anal retentive, so perhaps Ruby is more useful to me than to most. If
you don't know what manga is, I suggest looking it up on the wikipedia!
- I scraped all the music information of my iTunes library from MusicBrainz
so that I can figure out what year all my songs came out in. Now I can
listen to all my music from the eighties, nineties, or specifically 1990. U
can't touch this!
- I programmed a psychological experiment to perform on my friends. Many of
them even stayed friends...

If you have a computer, surely there are many things that need to get
done, right?