What are the best training courses

Wannabe

Our boss wants to send us to some training.

I want to be able to change my name from "Wannabe" to "Knowitall". Can some
of you smart people suggest places where I can go to get real good advanced
ASP.Net or C# training?

Scott M.

I own a technology training firm in the Northeast
(http://TechTrainSolutions.com) and can tell you that there are many factors
that go into a really good learning experience.

You should start by telling us where you are and how much your training
budget is.

-Scott

John Timney \(MVP\)

I dont think you can learn to be real good from a course, either you can
program or you can't and a course will enahnce your exisitng skills or teach
you new approaches. The difference between a good programmer and a real
good one tend to be experience based ie. in how wide your skills are in
interconnected areas that a project might require, asp.net developers these
days require knowledge of the framework, controls, themses, skins and how to
query a database. A more experienced developer (perhaps a real good one)
will have all the skills of a typical programmer plus Ajax, WWF, Databases,
Silverlight, Streaming and Webservices for example.

You need to decide what exactly it is that you feel you are missing from
your technical arsenal and focus on that. I'll give you an example, I'm a
fairly good all rounder and a very deep MOSS architect - but I need to learn
more about Windows Workflow Foundation to understand how hard it will be for
a developer to take on workflow development within Sharepoint. If I was
looking for a course, I might look at that. Hence training can normally be
task specific in relation to what your trying to achieve. So will an
advanced course on C++ give you the next step in building your own technical
arsenal.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

Wannabe

If you last sentence was a question, then, I think it will help. The way I
look at is, there are technologies that I do not use because I do not know
they are available. And that is what I would think an advanced course in C#
would help me.

Good insight though...thanks a lot.

Scott M.

I would agree with John Timney in that, IMO, there is no such thing as an
"advanced course" in programming - all they can do is teach you the
syntax, after which it's down to you to gain experience in the real world.

I'm not sure that's what John said and I'd take great exception to the
statement overall. While I certainly agree that you'll never become a guru
from taking a course. If done right, you'll get a lot more out of a class
than just syntax. The best instructors are those that also use the
technology they teach and thus, have experience that can't be gained from
just reading a manual. Those instructors will bring that experience into
the classroom and convey the "why" as much as the "how". And, honestly,
haven't we all found ourselves in situations where we get something to work,
but don't necessarially understand "why" it works"?

-Scott
http://TechTrainSolutions.com