What database?

Matko

Hello,

I need to store data in some database for my application. I need database
for easy deployment (small size), that is reliable and maybe fast.
What database is best to use in this case?

Thanks in advance,
John

Tom Shelton

Hello,

I need to store data in some database for my application. I need database
for easy deployment (small size), that is reliable and maybe fast.
What database is best to use in this case?

Thanks in advance,
John

If this is a small single app type database, I would look at either SQLite or
Firebird. Both have .NET data providers available. I haven't used Firebird,
but I have used SQLite a little bit and it is indeed fast and fairly capable -
and very small.

Matko

If this is a small single app type database, I would look at either SQLite
or
Firebird. Both have .NET data providers available. I haven't used
Firebird,
but I have used SQLite a little bit and it is indeed fast and fairly
capable -
and very small.

Hello Tom,

SQLite doesn't have cascade update and delete of records in database, so I
don't consider it as good database. What about Firebird? How much is easy to
deploy and how much is size of database compared to Access?

Regards,
John

User1014

* Matko said:
Hello,

I need to store data in some database for my application. I need database
for easy deployment (small size), that is reliable and maybe fast.
What database is best to use in this case?

Thanks in advance,
John

Jet?

garyusenet

what would the advantage of using this be over using say sql express?
I'm just about to start learning about databases, its a definate
weakness of mine. I have made access databases before (self taught) but
have always got lost when i've tried to learn how to interact c# with a
database.

I'm going to start again soon, as was going to use SQL server express
with C# express.

Is this the best way to learn?

(if it makes any difference i do have full versions of Visual Studio
and SQL server which were complimentary from an expo i attended about a
year ago, but i'm using the express editions as i'm at work and don't
have the full version with me)

Thankyou.

Gary.

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

what would the advantage of using this be over using say sql express?

Well, SQL Express is
1) A 50MB download
2) Requires installation
3) Requires many more resources to run

As opposed to SQL lite which is pretty much just a DLL that you will deploy
with your application. So if your target is small footprint, SQL Lite or
SQL Compact Edition is the way to go.

So if you have

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Matko,

For me listing to your question than any database is good enough. (Although
you have in my opinion not stated your question well if I see your comment
to Tom).

To be able to scale up in feature I would in your case use the SQLExpress or
SQLCompact edition.

In another newsgroup is Bill Vaughn, completely lyric about the last one, I
have myself no expirience with that.

However it depends of course for what you need it, and as you stated it,
again, any database is good as long as you can do a select.

Cor

Duggi

Hi
In my view , selecting a database should be driven from Business
Requriment. If you need to handle very huge amount of data, need lot of
flexibility, scalability, security... go for something big...
If some of the factors can be compromised then go for little smaller
version...

I mean to say requirement should force the selection of database.

database could be as small as a simple spread sheet, and JET
database...or simply can stoore in an xml file also.

It is all about what exactly you require and what not ... right now and
in future...

Thanks
-Srinivas.

Matko

I mean to say requirement should force the selection of database.
database could be as small as a simple spread sheet, and JET
database...or simply can stoore in an xml file also.

It is all about what exactly you require and what not ... right now and
in future...

Yes, I know, but yet there are questions still there. I know I need small
database like Access. But what is better, Access, SQLite, MySQL , or some
similar database.
I need database that is small and easy to deploy on client computer.
Database filled with lots of data wont be larger then 25MB, or 50MB at most.

Thanks

Dave Sexton

Hi,

Is the data relational?

--
Dave Sexton

Matko said:
Yes, I know, but yet there are questions still there. I know I need small
database like Access. But what is better, Access, SQLite, MySQL , or some
similar database.
I need database that is small and easy to deploy on client computer.
Database filled with lots of data wont be larger then 25MB, or 50MB at
most.

Thanks

Jay

Can SQLite be use with several simultaneous users (eg over a network, without any conflicts)? It
wasn't clear to me from their website.

If you don't absolutely have to have stored procedures, I've found that
SQLite far outperforms any other. No installation, the 2.0 ADO.NET version
includes the database engine in a single Assembly, thanks to Robert Simpson
and his excellent work:

http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/

Peter

darrel

If you need advanced database features like stored procedures then use SQL
Server 2005 Express

My understanding is that the primary drawback to SSE is that not many web
hosts support it.

Not that you can't migrate the data into SQL server, of course.

-Darrel

intrader

Matko said:
Hello,

I need to store data in some database for my application. I need database
for easy deployment (small size), that is reliable and maybe fast.
What database is best to use in this case?

Thanks in advance,
John
Let's recommend something entirererly different. No database used here,
just the objects!

http://www.advogato.org/article/398.html

Mark Rae

Let's recommend something entirererly different. No database used here,
just the objects!

http://www.advogato.org/article/398.html

ROTFLMAO!!!

"Are you crazy? What if there's a system crash?
To avoid losing data, every night your system server saves a snapshot of all
business objects to a file using plain object serialization."

Best hope the system doesn't crash at 23:55... :)

intrader

Mark said:
ROTFLMAO!!!

"Are you crazy? What if there's a system crash?
To avoid losing data, every night your system server saves a snapshot of all
business objects to a file using plain object serialization."

Best hope the system doesn't crash at 23:55... :)
Writing the log of commands first, then applying the commands is
entirely safe under any conditions. You can also get mirrors going quite
effectively.