What do you use Ruby for?

coke

What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of
spare time on my hand, and with that time I've decided to learn a
programming language, Ruby. Right now I'm learning the basics of ruby
and how it works, this will help me understand and read ruby easier.
Back on the topic: what do you use ruby for? When I ask that question
I mean how do you use Ruby and why. This question later on when I get
more into ruby will help me decide how to use ruby from your
experience, thanks

Matt Lawrence

What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of
spare time on my hand, and with that time I've decided to learn a
programming language, Ruby. Right now I'm learning the basics of ruby
and how it works, this will help me understand and read ruby easier.
Back on the topic: what do you use ruby for? When I ask that question
I mean how do you use Ruby and why. This question later on when I get
more into ruby will help me decide how to use ruby from your
experience, thanks

Web spiders, data mining, general slice and dice of data while moving it
from one place to another. Soon I'll have a bunch of system configuration
and installation tools written in Ruby.

I'm nowhere near as bright as a lot of the people on this list and, I'm no
longer a programmer, I've been a systems administrator for many years now.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts, it's what I can remember in time to use.

coke

Thanks, very usefull links everyone.

Web spiders, data mining, general slice and dice of data while moving it
from one place to another. Soon I'll have a bunch of system configuration
and installation tools written in Ruby.

I'm nowhere near as bright as a lot of the people on this list and, I'm no
longer a programmer, I've been a systems administrator for many years now.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts, it's what I can remember in time to use.

takaoueda

coke said:
What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of
spare time on my hand, and with that time I've decided to learn a
programming language, Ruby. Right now I'm learning the basics of ruby
and how it works, this will help me understand and read ruby easier.
Back on the topic: what do you use ruby for? When I ask that question
I mean how do you use Ruby and why. This question later on when I get
more into ruby will help me decide how to use ruby from your
experience, thanks

I learned the basics of Ruby 4 years ago just after the first edition
of Programming Ruby was published. It was fun, but I did not use it.
But recently I created some Ruby programs for my research work. See
"Appendix: Computer Program Tools, Threshold Transformations and
Dynamical Systems of Neural Networks" in
http://www.geocities.com/takaoueda.

Takao

martinus

* Whenever shellscripts would get too complicated (I always forget the
syntax of for-rof loops...)
* For each program I write in my spare time
* Whenever I want to try out a new idea, I think how I would code this
in ruby, then I write it in the language that I have to use.
* When writing Java/C++ code, I sometimes rewrite stuff in ruby just to
see how this should really look like :)

martinus