What is "marshal" in programming context?

jeezamail

I saw words like "marshal", "marshaler", "demarshaler" in some log
files, articles but I really don't understand what it means.
I have tried to google it but did not find any satisfied or clear
answer.
Can anyone give me some definitions, meanings or direct me to where I
can find the answer.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jee

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
I saw words like "marshal", "marshaler", "demarshaler" in some log
files, articles but I really don't understand what it means.
I have tried to google it but did not find any satisfied or clear
answer.
Can anyone give me some definitions, meanings or direct me to where I
can find the answer.

<url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Marshal>, where I added an
incorrect (too limited) definition since the main page had none.

Generally, marshaling (in programming) means to convert to and from some
external representation of an object, typically for RPC calls, but also
for e.g. calling Windows API-functions from .NET.

See <url:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/netcfintrointerp.asp>

Alf P. Steinbach

* Alf P. Steinbach:
* (e-mail address removed):

<url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Marshal>, where I added an
incorrect (too limited) definition since the main page had none.

Generally, marshaling (in programming) means to convert to and from some
external representation of an object, typically for RPC calls, but also
for e.g. calling Windows API-functions from .NET.

See <url:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/netcfintrointerp.asp>

Sorry, this was off-topic.

I thought I replied in a Windows programming programming group.

Jee

Is the word marshaling specific to Windows platform?
I'm working on Solaris and Linux platform but using an API which
supports both Unix and Windows platform.
The API generated some log messages about marshaling so I wondered that
it is the same meaning as in Windows or not.

Anyway, my question is : Is it a generic term which can be use in any
platform or specific to Windows .NET platform?

/Jee

Alf P. Steinbach

* Jee:
Is the word marshaling specific to Windows platform?
I'm working on Solaris and Linux platform but using an API which
supports both Unix and Windows platform.
The API generated some log messages about marshaling so I wondered that
it is the same meaning as in Windows or not.

Anyway, my question is : Is it a generic term which can be use in any
platform or specific to Windows .NET platform?

It's not about standard C++, that's for sure.

XFUT: [comp.programming].

Twister.net

Marshalling - means conversion from one form to another, Its a common
term. But as far as i know, it originated from the definition of
serialization , which is the process of marshalling and unmarshalling.
its used wherever the Remote Method Invocation is used (RMI).