What is ruby-web.exe

Michael Hughesdon

Newbie question!

I have never used Ruby, but I am trying to mirror a production web app
written in Ruby onto a new test server running Windows 2003 and IIS.
The production server lists ruby-web.exe as one of the files under the
web extension handling ruby requests in the IIS setup, but having
installed Ruby and Rails on the test server there is no ruby-web.exe
present, and googling hasn't turned up anything meaningful. Can someone
tell me what ruby-web.exe is and where I can get an installer from?

Thanks.

Michael Hughesdon

Michael said:
Newbie question!

I have never used Ruby, but I am trying to mirror a production web app
written in Ruby onto a new test server running Windows 2003 and IIS.
The production server lists ruby-web.exe as one of the files under the
web extension handling ruby requests in the IIS setup, but having
installed Ruby and Rails on the test server there is no ruby-web.exe
present, and googling hasn't turned up anything meaningful. Can someone
tell me what ruby-web.exe is and where I can get an installer from?

Thanks.

After a little more searching...ruby web was a foundation built to
better support ruby on the web. It appears to have been discontinued
now, for details look it up in the internet wayback machine at
www.ruby-web.org.

Walton Hoops

After a little more searching...ruby web was a foundation built to
better support ruby on the web. It appears to have been discontinued
now, for details look it up in the internet wayback machine at
www.ruby-web.org.
Darn, and here I was hoping you knew something I didn't since getting
ruby running
on IIS is something I have tried to do in the past. You can try ROR for
IIS (I haven't),
but it's had no updates and no news since 2007, which makes me leery.
http://www.codeplex.com/RORIIS

The other question... is there a reason it needs to be IIS? Or even
windows for that
matter? If not, you could always get an Apache install on your windows
server, and
with a little configuration get ruby running under that, or go with an
Ubuntu (or some
other Linux server) and setup will be pretty trivial.

Michael Hughesdon

Walton said:
Darn, and here I was hoping you knew something I didn't since getting
ruby running
on IIS is something I have tried to do in the past. You can try ROR for
IIS (I haven't),
but it's had no updates and no news since 2007, which makes me leery.
http://www.codeplex.com/RORIIS

The other question... is there a reason it needs to be IIS? Or even
windows for that
matter? If not, you could always get an Apache install on your windows
server, and
with a little configuration get ruby running under that, or go with an
Ubuntu (or some
other Linux server) and setup will be pretty trivial.

Hi Walton,

Unfortunately I work at a windows site so IIS it is.

I'm glad to say that I now have ruby running, though I've fiddled around
with so many instructions I'm not sure which one finally got it working.

I did use the ROR for IIS you mentioned, it may be old but since I'm
running on Win 2k3 server and IIS 6 my setup isn't the most recent
either.

This is the site that seemed the most helpful if you need to try IIS
again.

http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/a...ails-running-on-Windows-with-IIS-FastCGI.aspx