What Java tools/application should I use for this... pls help..

Krist

Hi All,

We need to build Java based application on Oracle /AIX.
It is a Human Resources Application, here is the system requirements :
- some module need to be run from many remote location from all over
the country
- remotely, user must be able to display,insert/update/delete data
- remotely, user must be able to print the report, some report is
printed in pre formatted form, so the positioning must be precise and
standard.

From the requirement, Here is the question : (Assuming Oracle Form &
Report is not the options)

- What UI should I use, Java App (Swing/Applet ) or JSP Servlet ?
- What Java Development tool is best for this purpose also the easiest
use ?
- What tool can I use for the above reporting purpose ?

Thank you for your help and Info,
xtanto

Pimousse

Hi All,

Hi alone,
We need to build Java based application on Oracle /AIX.
It is a Human Resources Application, here is the system requirements :
- some module need to be run from many remote location from all over
the country
- remotely, user must be able to display,insert/update/delete data
- remotely, user must be able to print the report, some report is
printed in pre formatted form, so the positioning must be precise and
standard.

From the requirement, Here is the question : (Assuming Oracle Form &
Report is not the options)

- What UI should I use, Java App (Swing/Applet ) or JSP Servlet ?

Applet : no
You can use :
- either a heavy client via Java Web Start,
- or a light client via a web interface (JSP+Struts on a Tomcat server
for example),
- another solution, a heavy client connecting to a server via the RMI
API, but I don't think it's a good solution.

IMHO, I'd use a web client : it's easier to deploy than an heavy client.
- What Java Development tool is best for this purpose also the easiest
to use ?

Eclipse, with Tomcat plugin for example.
- What tool can I use for the above reporting purpose ?

JasperReports (LGPL) : http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/
iReport (LGPL) is a GUI using jasper : using it, you'll have an overview
of the jasper capabilities. http://ireport.sourceforge.net/

@++
Pimousse