What's Buggy About 3.5 SP1?

Hillbilly

Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

"Dear customer,
so sorry for your inconvenience. ASP.NET 3.5 Chart Control depends on .net
3.5 sp1. But we do not install .net 3.5 sp1 on our servers. Because some
websites could work well with it, getting weird exception. We are waiting
for the next update from Microsoft. Thanks."

What's supposed to be the problem with 3.5 SP1?

[1]
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...l-lt-asp-chart-runat-quot-server-quot-gt.aspx

Joern Schou-Rode

Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

I am pretty sure that the Chart control works fine without 3.5 SP1.

From my experience - short as it may be - with the library, it works just
fine when installed locally in a web applications bin folder. Hence, I
guess you are able to simply "install" it yourself.

Let me know if it does not do the trick.

Hillbilly

Joern Schou-Rode said:
Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

I am pretty sure that the Chart control works fine without 3.5 SP1.

From my experience - short as it may be - with the library, it works just
fine when installed locally in a web applications bin folder. Hence, I
guess you are able to simply "install" it yourself.

Let me know if it does not do the trick.

I'll try something basic in a file sent to the host server as you imply
Joern but I did find Hanselman's comments about SP1 which the host providers
may be using as rationale. Personally, their explanation is stupid because
they are going to have to install 4.0 and the Chart control will be
distributed with 4.0 and 4.0 is going to introduce its own bugs just as
every previous release does so then what? I hope you're right Joern, I don't
want to wait :)

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/CategoryView.aspx?category=Bugs

Hillbilly

All I have been able to discover is that some --3.5 SP1 applications-- have
had problems as there are apparently issues in some of the
classes --however-- this has nothing to do with the --server-- and I'm not
happy at the moment that I'd have to wait for up to a year perhaps for this
hosting service to install 4.0 to get to use the Chart control.

Mark Rae said:
Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

My ISP (http://www.hostinguk.net) already supports them...
I am pretty sure that the Chart control works fine without 3.5 SP1.

No, that's not correct.
From my experience - short as it may be - with the library, it works just
fine when installed locally in a web applications bin folder. Hence, I
guess you are able to simply "install" it yourself.

No, that's not correct either. The Chart controls are not an assembly that
you can just drop into the \bin folder - they are an add-in / extension to
.NET 3.5 SP1. As such, they need to be downloaded and installed not only
on your development machine(s) but also on any webserver hosting web apps
which use them.

The download is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...86-bf49-4fe5-9ca8-910ae6ea442c&DisplayLang=en.

The assemblies are installed in the GAC as well as in the "%Program
File%\Microsoft Chart Controls\Assemblies" folder. If you build a WinForms
application using the controls, your setup and deployment needs to include
the MSChart.exe installer as a pre-requisite.

Additionally, if you need support for languages which Microsoft consider
to be "foreign", the controls are available in 23 additional .NET
Framework languages:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E3-749F-4454-A5E3-DE4C463143BD&displaylang=en

There is also a Visual Studio.NET 2008 add-in which provides toolkit
integration, IntelliSense support etc:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...13-E1E5-4315-825C-F14D33A303E9&displaylang=en

Loads of sample code here:
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/mschart/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=1591

Full documentation here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...35-B087-4324-9DBA-6DD5E844FD9F&displaylang=en

Dedicated forum here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MSWinWebChart/threads/

Joern Schou-Rode

No, that's not correct either. The Chart controls are not an assembly
that you can just drop into the \bin folder - they are an add-in /
extension to .NET 3.5 SP1.

I am most certainly using the Chart controls right now, in an environment
where I simply dropped the binaries into my applications bin folder!

You might be right about the 3.5 SP1 requirement though :)

Dale

Webhost4life's error has to do with an out of memory exception error that is
produced by some of the 3rd Party Components on the site. Kind of annoying
as the only time I have come across the error the third party providers
already have updates available to address it.

So I am not sure Microsoft is going to respond with much as it appears to be
a 3rd Party issue not a MS one. I guess Webhost4life are hoping that MS
Will release some sort of patch that will allow all these out of date sites
to be magically work again without webhost4life telling the users to just
upgrade their stuff.

Dale

Hillbilly

I certainly don't understand them at the moment as they have always been
really quick to adopt support for the framework and related assets which
only make their hosting services more attractive. Pointing the finger where
it does not belong is not a good idea. I'm going to send the CEO a kite as
he invites customers to do so.

Hillbilly said:
Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

"Dear customer,
so sorry for your inconvenience. ASP.NET 3.5 Chart Control depends on
.net
3.5 sp1. But we do not install .net 3.5 sp1 on our servers. Because some
websites could work well with it, getting weird exception. We are waiting
for the next update from Microsoft. Thanks."

What's supposed to be the problem with 3.5 SP1?

[1]
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...l-lt-asp-chart-runat-quot-server-quot-gt.aspx

Joern Schou-Rode

Mark Rae said:
And how did those binaries find their way onto your computer...?

On my development box, the files were installed using the installer. This
box also has every flavor of .NET installed.

In our test environment, the charting binaries are simply copied in along
with everything else in the bin-folder. The installer has NOT been used here.

Furthermore, the test server does NOT have .NET Framework 3.5 (nor 3.0). The
newest framework on this box is 2.0, and the charting controls works just
fine!

Joern Schou-Rode

Mark Rae said:
this is against the EULA

Guess I will have to ask my company's legal department to look into this.
Thanks for the info :)

To the OP:

ALL OF MY SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR
DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS ADVISE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE
LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY
DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS ADVISE.