what's the best application server

Duane Evenson

what is the best application server for light and simple application
server work?
1. Weblogic
2. Websphere
3. JBoss
4. ?

Arne Vajhøj

Duane said:
what is the best application server for light and simple application
server work?
1. Weblogic
2. Websphere
3. JBoss
4. ?

I would go for JBoss in that scenario (and many other scenarios).

Uptodate with Java EE specs.

Extremely easy to install and run (unzip and doubleclick on bin/run).

Reasonable easy to find help on the net.

Free.

Arne

Qu0ll

Duane Evenson said:
what is the best application server for light and simple application
server work?
1. Weblogic
2. Websphere
3. JBoss
4. ?

GlassFish. The current version is 2.1 with version 3.0 around the corner.

It's as easy to install as JBoss and is up to date with the latest JEE
specs. Plus, it's completely free. It's maintained by Sun and works
extremely well in my opinion. Support is via a well patronised forum.

More new deployments globally are using GlassFish than any other application
server.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Roedy Green

what is the best application server for light and simple application
server work?
1. Weblogic
2. Websphere
3. JBoss
4. ?

You don't need the J2EE stuff for a light weight app. Most people use
Tomcat. These is an advantage of going with the crowd if you want to
get help.

Arved Sandstrom

Duane said:
what is the best application server for light and simple application
server work?
1. Weblogic
2. Websphere
3. JBoss
4. ?

JBoss, Glassfish or Tomcat. It would depend in various degrees on what
IDE you like best, and what frameworks and libraries you wish to use. In
theory everything works with everything - in practise certain
combinations work best, and those combinations include specific app
servers.

Weblogic and Websphere aren't light & simple. :)

AHS

Lew

Roedy said:
You don't need the J2EE stuff for a light weight app. Most people use
Tomcat. These is an advantage of going with the crowd if you want to
get help.

I concur. Unless you need the extra features of the JBoss / Glassfish crowd,
and sometimes even then, Tomcat will do plenty fine and is much lighter weight
and easier to maintain.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
You don't need the J2EE stuff for a light weight app. Most people use
Tomcat. These is an advantage of going with the crowd if you want to
get help.

Per tradition "app server" means "full Java EE app sever".

So Tomcat does not fit the requirements.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Qu0ll said:
GlassFish. The current version is 2.1 with version 3.0 around the corner.

It's as easy to install as JBoss and is up to date with the latest JEE
specs. Plus, it's completely free. It's maintained by Sun and works
extremely well in my opinion. Support is via a well patronised forum.

More new deployments globally are using GlassFish than any other
application server.

That does not sound likely.

A quick search at dice.com finds:

WebSphere - 1744 jobs
WebLogic - 1437 jobs
JBoss - 732 jobs
GlassFish - 73 jobs

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
Per tradition "app server" means "full Java EE app sever".

So Tomcat does not fit the requirements.

If Tomcat does everything the OP needs, then tradition be danged.

Qu0ll

Arne Vajhøj said:
That does not sound likely.

A quick search at dice.com finds:

WebSphere - 1744 jobs
WebLogic - 1437 jobs
JBoss - 732 jobs
GlassFish - 73 jobs

It is a true statement. While the current installed base of GlassFish is
significantly smaller than the others you mentioned, GlassFish has the
highest adoption rate of any application server at the moment. I cannot
recall exactly where I read this but it is true that GlassFish is gaining
ground on the others rapidly.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

EricF

If Tomcat does everything the OP needs, then tradition be danged.

I think the OP is fishing to some extent.

Light and simple - not Weblogic or Websphere.

Do you need EJB? If not - if servlets and JSPs can do the job, Tomcat (or
maybe Jetty) is the way to go. Maybe add Spring. If EJBs are needed, JBoss and
Glassfish are both good.

Eric

Lew

EricF said:
Light and simple - not Weblogic or Websphere.

Do you need EJB? If not - if servlets and JSPs can do the job, Tomcat (or
maybe Jetty) is the way to go. Maybe add Spring. If EJBs are needed, JBoss and
Glassfish are both good.

Or Apache Tomcat plus Apache OpenEJB, perhaps.

Mike Schilling

Arved said:
JBoss, Glassfish or Tomcat. It would depend in various degrees on
what
IDE you like best, and what frameworks and libraries you wish to
use.
In theory everything works with everything - in practise certain
combinations work best, and those combinations include specific app
servers.

Weblogic and Websphere aren't light & simple. :)

Weblogic is light and simple ... when compared to Websphere.

Arved Sandstrom

Lew said:
Or Apache Tomcat plus Apache OpenEJB, perhaps.
Which at some point starts shading into Apache Geronimo...which I've
never used so can't comment on.

AHS

Tom Anderson

It is a true statement. While the current installed base of GlassFish
is significantly smaller than the others you mentioned, GlassFish has
the highest adoption rate of any application server at the moment.

I don't see how you could possibly measure that. Thus, i don't see how
this claim could be anything other than bullshit. No offence - i'm sure
you did read this, i just think it's bullshit.

tom

Qu0ll

Tom Anderson said:
I don't see how you could possibly measure that. Thus, i don't see how
this claim could be anything other than bullshit. No offence - i'm sure
you did read this, i just think it's bullshit.

Well I don't know how they measured it but that was definitely the claim - I
didn't make it up. I believe it may have been a claim made by Sun
themselves.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Arne Vajhøj

Qu0ll said:
It is a true statement. While the current installed base of GlassFish
is significantly smaller than the others you mentioned, GlassFish has
the highest adoption rate of any application server at the moment. I
cannot recall exactly where I read this but it is true that GlassFish is
gaining ground on the others rapidly.

No source but true????

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Qu0ll said:
Well I don't know how they measured it but that was definitely the claim
- I didn't make it up. I believe it may have been a claim made by Sun
themselves.

And all claims by vendors about growth in market share is true??

My guess is that SUN is just counting downloads.

And given that they bundle Glassfish with the Java EE SDK, then it
is not surprisingly that they have many downloads.

But if the download is only used to build against javaee.jar, then
it does not imply much real marketshare.

I would expect real marketshare to show in demand for people.

Arne