Where do you buy your books from?

apac023

I know this isn't quite C++, but I was curious to where everyone bought
their books from. And wheres the best place to get books? because books
can get pretty expensive after buying a few.

SnaiL

I've buy my book in the shop. :) If you are interested, I can show it
to you, just come to Kiev .. the capital of the beautiful country -
Ukraine.

J Swift

I know this isn't quite C++, but I was curious to where everyone bought
their books from. And wheres the best place to get books? because books
can get pretty expensive after buying a few.

Used @ Amazon or Half.com then resell at either (or both) after your through
with them.

HTH

Andrey Tarasevich

I know this isn't quite C++, but I was curious to where everyone bought
their books from. And wheres the best place to get books? because books
can get pretty expensive after buying a few.

There's no "one best place". You can try comparison shopping at places
like amazon.com, bookpool.com, alldirect.com, walmart.com etc. In many
cases comparison shopping sites like mysimon.com can help (just do a
search for the ISBN). There's no way to predict which place will have
the best price for each particular book.

Then there are places where you can get the same book used, but still in
excellent condition, like amazon.com again, half.com.

Ron Natalie

I know this isn't quite C++, but I was curious to where everyone bought
their books from. And wheres the best place to get books? because books
can get pretty expensive after buying a few.

Locally, I shop at B&N because it's close and I have a discount
card from them. Otherwise, it's usually Spamazon or the like.

XeRo

Ofcourse theres no best place to go. I was just trying to ask what was
people's favorite or most prefered. I personally prefer amazon.com
because of their high discounts, which are often better than b&n or
borders.

Default User

XeRo said:
Ofcourse theres no best place to go. I was just trying to ask what was
people's favorite or most prefered. I personally prefer amazon.com
because of their high discounts, which are often better than b&n or
borders.

Please quote to provide context to your message. Using Google, click
"show options" then use the Reply shown in the expanded header.

For technical books, http://bookpool.com is usually better than regular
on-line book sellers, who tend not to discount those very much.

Brian

osmium

Default User said:
For technical books, http://bookpool.com is usually better than regular
on-line book sellers, who tend not to discount those very much.

I prefer bookpool too, for much the same reasons. Also, they don't pester
you to buy more books. They have figured out that if I want more books I
know how to find them.

red floyd

Default said:
XeRo wrote:

Please quote to provide context to your message. Using Google, click
"show options" then use the Reply shown in the expanded header.

For technical books, http://bookpool.com is usually better than regular
on-line book sellers, who tend not to discount those very much.

Just went there to check it out, and while the prices are good,
practically everything C++ related is out of stock.

Gary Labowitz

red floyd said:
Default User wrote:

Just went there to check it out, and while the prices are good,
practically everything C++ related is out of stock.

I've used bookpool and was very happy with the prices. Your comment reminds
me of a story my father used to tell.

Customer: How much is corned beef?
Deli man: $8.50 a pound.
Customer: Across the street it's only $4.00 a pound.
Deli man: So go buy it there.
Customer: They're out of it.
Deli man: Oh, when we're out of it it's $4.00 a pound here too!

Gary said:
I've used bookpool and was very happy with the prices.

I checked bookpool, and while some C++ titles are out of stock, most
are not. Also, as I recall from using them, that just means a few days
wait while they order it from their supplier. As long as the book is in
print, they'll get it.

Brian

red said:

Just went there to check it out, and while the prices are good,
practically everything C++ related is out of stock.

I'd have to say that was a gross exaggeration. The first 10, sorted by
best-selling:

1. C++ Standard Library, The: A Tutorial and Reference Nicolai M.
Josuttis
Availability: Out-Of-Stock

2. C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from
Boost and Beyond David Abrahams, et al
Availability: In-Stock

3. Modern C++ Design Andrei Alexandrescu
Availability: In-Stock

4. C++ Programming Language Special Edition Bjarne Stroustrup
Availability: In-Stock

5. C++ in a Nutshell Ray Lischner
Availability: Out-Of-Stock

6. C++ How to Program Harvey Deitel, et al
Availability: In-Stock

7. Exceptional C++ Style: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming
Problems, and Solutions Herb Sutter
Availability: In-Stock

8. C++ Templates: The Complete Guide David Vandevoorde, et al
Availability: Out-Of-Stock

9. C++ Primer Plus Stephen Prata
Availability: In-Stock

10. Effective C++, 2nd Edition: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your
Programs and Designs Scott Meyers
Availability: In-Stock

Only two of these top ten are out of stock at the moment. My
recollection is that all that does is add some time to when you get it,
it's not like the book's out of print and unavailable. They just have
to order new ones.

Of course, these are the most popular ones and you'd expect to see them
have inventory on hand for the most part. A cursory check of the less
popular titles shows that more titles tend to be out.

Brian