Where in the page lifecycle does validation occur?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi all,

    I don't use auto postbacks on my web site to keep it javascript-free
    and browser agnostic. Whenever there's a postback to my page I'm using
    the Page_Load event to use the posted data for database updates.
    However, the page hasn't been validated at this point. I can call
    Validate() at this point, but this means the controls will be validated
    twice.

    At what point in the page lifecycle are the controls validated? When
    would be the best time and place to use the posted data for a database
    update, if not using auto postbacks? My current method doesn't seem
    ideal.

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Paul

    nirmal.c Guest

    You can disable it by .CausesValidation property

    After Page_Load.

    Regards
    Nirmal

    nirmal.c, Aug 25, 2006

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks Nirmal,

    If I don't want to use button events (to avoid the need for javascript)
    where's the best place to check if the posted data is valid and do
    database updates, redirects etc.?

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2006
  4. Paul

    nirmal.c Guest

    Paul , You are the best person to judge based on your apps behavior.

    However I might end up doing it at LoadComplete.

    nirmal.c, Sep 8, 2006