    afraid where to start. I don't know what would be considered good to
    learn and what would not because I have been out so long. Could I get
    some feedback from all of you here?

    crogers, Apr 30, 2007

  2. I doubt *all of us* will be able to provide you with feedback, but some
    might be able to. Here is mine...

    It sounds like you're not finding satisfaction in your daily activities
    and would like to change something and perhaps not sure what it is you
    want to change. One of the skills you studied was programming, and it
    is a respected and well-compensated area, and without knowing a whole
    lot about it you can even think that it is what you want to do. Please
    don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to you, I am just not seeing
    much concrete information in your inquiry to go on. "Staying up" on
    programming and mathematics isn't something you can do "by the way".

    If your job allows you to apply at least a little bit of programming
    skill, use that great chance. Find a small project and jump on it.
    Do not start writing code right away, unless it's something like "fix
    this [mis]behaviour of our code". There are many levels to the craft
    of programming, but you probably already know that (since you studied
    it). Try to follow the right "form" right away, to avoid developing
    bad habits.

    If you think that you might want to some day make a career of software
    development, you will need to get into that groove right away even if
    it means "sweeping floors and sharpening pencils and washing brushes"
    for some time. Don't delay. It's very difficult when you're older.
    If you just want to write programs to supplement your main activities,
    you most likely won't need C++. Use something simpler, like Java or
    Python or <some other language>.

    I may not be able to clearly state my point, but behind this all BS
    you should find this, hopefully: first figure out what you need
    programming and math for, and only then start looking for materials,
    books, tools, etc. If you want to find a house, woulnd't you have
    figured out the approximate size and price before visiting with
    a real estate broker? Maybe not, but that's what the broker will
    tell you to do on your first visit.

    My $0.04...

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 30, 2007