which HTML editor do you use?

Rappie

Hi,

I read a book about HTML programming and I was wondering, what kind of HTML
editor you use to make your website? We all know MS FrontPage, but is this a
good program to make and (professional) website?

Thanks for now,

Rappy

Jeffrey Silverman

Hi,

I read a book about HTML programming and I was wondering, what kind of HTML
editor you use to make your website? We all know MS FrontPage, but is this a
good program to make and (professional) website?

Thanks for now,

Rappy

Jeez-o-effin-kee-righst on a pogo stick! How many times does this
question have to be asked? Frikin google a bit, hoss...

SpaceGirl

Rappie said:
Hi,

I read a book about HTML programming and I was wondering, what kind of HTML
editor you use to make your website? We all know MS FrontPage, but is this a
good program to make and (professional) website?

Thanks for now,

Rappy

FrontPage is probably the single worst program for making web pages...
except, perhaps, for Word.

DreamWeaver MX 2004 is probably the very best program, and one which
most professional designers use. But it's not a program for newbies -
unless you already know HTML inside out, dont go near it.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
FrontPage is probably the single worst program for making web pages...
except, perhaps, for Word.

nope, rf has a link somewhere to an example of what excel does. its
reeeeeeeeeally bad.

brucie

In alt.html Rappie said:
what kind of HTML editor you use to make your website?

http://editor.usenetshit.info/

others:

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
pnotepad: http://www.pnotepad.org/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
screem (linux): http://www.screem.org/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
SciTE: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
slickedit (linux:) http://www.slickedit.com/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
bluefish.(linux): http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
pagebuilder: http://www.tafweb.com/pagebuilder.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

not free:
textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
top style: http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ [$80]
namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/ [$80]

PHP
phpedit: http://phpedit.org/ [$0]
winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]
hydraPHP: http://www.coldmind.com/ [coming soon]
devphp: http://devphp.sourceforge.net/ [$0]
phped: http://www.nusphere.com/products/ [$300]
top php studio: http://www.top-systems.net/ [$30]
dzsoft php editor: http://www.dzsoft.com/dzphp.htm [$40]
Expert Editor: http://www.ankord.com/phpxedit.html [$35]
komodo: http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/ [$30+]
phpcoder: http://www.phpide.com/go/programs/php_coder.htm [$0]
Davor's PHP Editor: http://www.pleskina.com/dphped/main.php [$0]
maguma studio/workbench: http://www.maguma.com/products/?article=Studio {$40+]

XML
xopus: http://xopus.com/ [$850]
editml: http://www.editml.com/ [$90+]
xmlpro2: http://www.vervet.com/ [$0]
cooktop: http://www.xmlcooktop.com/ [$0]
xray: http://www.architag.com/xray/ [$0]
xmlwriter: http://www.xmlwriter.net/ [$100]
oxygen pro: http://www.oxygenxml.com/ [$100]
blueprint: http://www.xmlblueprint.com/ [$45]
xmlmind: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ [$0/$220]
peters xml eiditor: http://www.iol.ie/~pxe/ [$0]
xmlspy: http://www.xmlspy.com/products_ide.html [$400]
morphon: http://www.morphon.com/xmleditor/index.shtml [$0]
turboxml: http://www.tibco.com/solutions/products/extensibility/turbo_xml.jsp [$270]

Karl Core

Rappie said:
Hi,

I read a book about HTML programming and I was wondering, what kind of
HTML
editor you use to make your website? We all know MS FrontPage, but is this
good program to make and (professional) website?

You know what's great about usenet? The messages to the newsgroups get
archived so that it becomes somewhat of an information repository. This is
especially valuable for people like you, who can go to the archives and
search for the answer yourself. It is even more valuable to the groups'
regulars who don't have to answer the same question 3x a week!

King of Red Lions

brucie said:
In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

nope, rf has a link somewhere to an example of what excel does. its
reeeeeeeeeally bad.

WHat are you talking about guys (and girls)? Frontpage, word and excel
are awsome editors, you know what the best one is though? Publisher!!!
Wooooo *gets really excited*

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

King said:
WHat are you talking about guys (and girls)? Frontpage, word and
excel are awsome editors, you know what the best one is though?
Publisher!!! Wooooo *gets really excited*

Whoohoo! I LOVE Publisher!!!

Now where can I upload my 247KB "Hello World" page?

SE

<alt.html , Rappie , (e-mail address removed)>
<[email protected]>
I read a book about HTML programming and I was wondering, what kind of HTML
editor you use to make your website? We all know MS FrontPage, but is this a
good program to make and (professional) website?

The editor used has little to do with it - although some editors can
make life a bit easier than others .

It could be said a web author is the same as a typewriter as its the
input that makes the results what they are & web design is one of
hardest things to learn unless you are naturally gifted .

Despite what you might like to think most users on here (myself
included) arnt naturally gifted in web design - so dont worry about it .

I use homesite myself but 'html kit' from www.chami.com is well worth a
look .

Petar

Hi Rappie,

I use Notepad. That is what the real web coders and/or designers use, but to
use Notepad you need to know HTML well.

Karl Core

Petar said:
Hi Rappie,

I use Notepad. That is what the real web coders and/or designers use, but
use Notepad you need to know HTML well.

That's funny. I use Dreamweaver and Homesite. And I have about 5000 pages of
valid HTML 4.01 Strict and XHTML Strict on the web.

It isn't the tool that matters, it is the mechanic.

Jeffrey Silverman

Hi Rappie,

I use Notepad. That is what the real web coders and/or designers use, but to
use Notepad you need to know HTML well.

Why?? There are so many text editors that are superior to Notepad! Even
for very basic features, such as
- syntax highlighting
- line numbering

I mean, Notepage doesn't even tell you what line number you are on! And
don't think I am advocating a WYSIWYG editor like DreamWeaver -- I'm not.
It's just that if you are going to use a text editor, why not use one that
is actually useful?

Kris

WHat are you talking about guys (and girls)? Frontpage, word and
excel are awsome editors, you know what the best one is though?
Publisher!!! Wooooo *gets really excited*

Whoohoo! I LOVE Publisher!!!

Now where can I upload my 247KB "Hello World" page?[/QUOTE]

Try Geocities.

johnsu01

Dylan Parry

johnsu01 said:
Hey brucie, why isn't Emacs on your list?

'cos the 'E' stands for evil <shudder/>

Incidentally, when I'm coding in Linux I tend to use KWrite. If I'm
really in need of a vanilla text editor, usually due to screwing up the
xorg.conf, then I resort to pico or nano depending on what's installed.

Sybren Stuvel

johnsu01 enlightened us with:
Hey brucie, why isn't Emacs on your list?

It's a list of editors, not operating systems :)

I agree - Emacs should be in there, and so should my personal
favourite - Vim :)

Oh, please read that "should" as "I think it would be nice" :)

Sybren

Tom Szabo

FrontPage is probably the single worst program for making web pages...
except, perhaps, for Word.

DreamWeaver MX 2004 is probably the very best program, and one which
most professional designers use. But it's not a program for newbies -
unless you already know HTML inside out, dont go near it.

FrontPage probably a good one....so one can preciate the better ones
latter...

....also leaves space so one can move UP :)

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Hi,
G'day.

I read a book about HTML programming

Must have been a very short book. HTML is not a programming language.
and I was wondering, what kind of HTML
editor you use to make your website?

Check the archives. We've been through this many many times. Including
in the last couple of days.
We all know MS FrontPage,

Only used a very old version of it for a very short period of time.
Wouldn't touch it again.
but is this a
good program to make and (professional) website?

No.