Which is the perl questions ng for beginners

V S Rawat

Hi all,

I accessed this ng today.

I have written some small programs in perl, and would like to learn
more.

I have installed ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 817 on my winxpsp2, with
Crimson Editor 3.70

Some queries:
1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
the veterans.

2. What other free resources would be useful for me.

3. Any good sites related to it, and having sample scripts?

Thanks.

Tad McClellan

V S Rawat said:
I have written some small programs in perl,

You wrote them in Perl, not in perl.

perldoc -q difference

What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

and would like to learn
more.

Learning more about "anything" should start with reading the
FAQ for "anything". :)

The Perl FAQs are part of the standard perl distribution, figure
out where they got installed on your system and consult them often.

The "perldoc" program, that also ships with the perl distribution,
can look things up for you in the Perl FAQs:

perldoc -q learn

Is Perl difficult to learn?

Where can I learn about CGI or Web programming in Perl?

Where can I learn about object-oriented Perl programming?

1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
the veterans.

You can ask those here!

Beginner level questions don't (or shouldn't anyway) disturb the veterans.

Questions that are easily answered by searching the docs that
come with perl _do_ disturb the veterans though. :)

So if you've spent ten minutes searching the standard docs and
haven't found your answer, then post away!

2. What other free resources would be useful for me.

The most authoritative resource on Perl are the docs that come with perl.

At least scan the Table Of Contents:

perldoc perltoc

Apart from that, http://learn.perl.org/ is a good place to start.

3. Any good sites related to it, and having sample scripts?

There is a list of Perl (and perl) mailing lists at:

http://lists.perl.org/

(note the "beginners" list there.)

See also the Perl Monks:

http://www.perlmonks.com/

And the Posting Guidelines for this newsgroup, which are posted
here frequently.

Happy Perling!

Ben Bullock

Sherm Pendley said:
This group is appropriate for all levels. The best way to avoid stepping
on
anyone's toes is to read *and follow* the posting guidelines which are
posted
here twice weekly.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who seem to hope that someone
will step on their toes so that they'll get an excuse to harass yet another
newbie poster. I've never seen such a newsgroup for picking on and flaming
newbies as this one.

Uri Guttman

BB> Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who seem to hope that
BB> someone will step on their toes so that they'll get an excuse to
BB> harass yet another newbie poster. I've never seen such a newsgroup for
BB> picking on and flaming newbies as this one.

whenever someone flames the regulars for flaming newbies who don't read
the guidelines, i have one suggestion. YOU respond as kindly as you want
to ALL the newbies. we will handle the rest. of course you won't take it
on because only the regulars know perl well enough and understand why
the guidelines help. so until you are helping all those who can't help
themselves, please go code in python. in fact python.com is just the
place for you!

uri

Tad McClellan

Ben Bullock said:
Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who seem to hope that someone
will step on their toes so that they'll get an excuse to harass yet another
newbie poster. I've never seen such a newsgroup for picking on and flaming
newbies as this one.

A great cause of the consternation stems from exactly this sort
of comment. Newbie at *what*? Newbie at Perl or Newbie at Usenet?

I hardly every see Perl newbies picked on and flamed.

I very often see Usenet newbies picked on and flamed.

An unqualified "newbie" is a useless (and harmful) use of the term.

Joe Smith

V said:
I have installed ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 817 on my winxp

Don't forget the built-in documentation.

Start -> All Programs -> ActivePerl -> Documentation