Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3?

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Hi,

From: "H. Simpson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3?
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:01:40 +0900

Is that a binary package of Ruby 1.8.2 ?
If you say about source files, Ruby/Tk can work with Tcl/Tk8.4.7.
I already tested that Ruby/Tk works with Tcl/Tk8.4.7 and 8.5a1
(and ActiveTcl-8.4.6.1 binary package).
Unless Tcl/Tk's API has incompatible changes, you'll be able to
use the latest Tcl/Tk libraries under current Ruby/Tk source codes
(Maybe you need to call Tk.tk_call() to control new features of
the Tcl/Tk libraries). The only thing you must do is to remake
ext/tcltklib/tcltklib.so which links to the latest Tcl/Tk libraries
(Please see ext/tcltklib/README.1st).

H. Simpson

Hi,

From: "H. Simpson" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:01:40 +0900

Is that a binary package of Ruby 1.8.2 ?
If you say about source files, Ruby/Tk can work with Tcl/Tk8.4.7.
I already tested that Ruby/Tk works with Tcl/Tk8.4.7 and 8.5a1
(and ActiveTcl-8.4.6.1 binary package).
Unless Tcl/Tk's API has incompatible changes, you'll be able to
use the latest Tcl/Tk libraries under current Ruby/Tk source codes
(Maybe you need to call Tk.tk_call() to control new features of
the Tcl/Tk libraries). The only thing you must do is to remake
ext/tcltklib/tcltklib.so which links to the latest Tcl/Tk libraries
(Please see ext/tcltklib/README.1st).

Correct. I saw that tcl/tck 8.3 binaries are included when I install
Ruby using RubyInstaller.

My ruby --version is "ruby 1.8.2 (2004-06-29) [i386-mswin32]".

Since ruby has been tested with tcl/tk 8.4, I'm hoping ruby 1.8.2 will
included the newer version.