Windows Groups/Roles Security in asp.net

Dale

I have a problem with implementing windows groups as a
form of role based security.

I have implemented it exactly as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323176

I am running Windows 2000 Server and ASP.NET framework
1.1 we are using Active Directory for groups. IIS is
setup for windows authentication

When I use the following syntax. It doesn't work
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<allow roles="domainname\WEB Group" />
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>

However if i do it by user it does work e.g.
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<allow users="domainname\dale" />
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>

I have also tried with and without the impersonation tag
<identity impersonate="true" />

I have noticed other similiar posts but I havent seen any
conclusive answers to this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dale

Bob Grommes

Perhaps you should use "deny roles" in conjunction with "allow roles" rather
than "deny users"?

Make sure you've disabled anonymous users in IIS for this app -- although if
it's working for specific users, I suppose that you have.

I have authenticated by role programmatically without reliance on a config
file and that works fine. I just created a static method in Global.asax and
call that as the first order of business on every page that requires
authorization:

Global.AuthorizeUser(this);

The AuthorizaUser routine will just check IsInRole() as appropriate for that
page. If they aren't authorizeable it takes them to a "not authorized"
page.

Hope this is of some help.

--Bob

eRic

I was having exactly the same problem. Then I found a somewhat realated
issue on another forum that some suggested logging off the network and
trying it again. That worked for me. Now I have an AD group
roles="DOMAINNAME\GroupName" in my authorization element and it works great.
I did have to reboot my machine (maybe just log off?) to get it to work.