Windows services using VS2003 problems

tshad

I have been running into all kinds of problems with VS2003 and handling
Windows services.

One of the main problems is trying to uninstall services. It doesn't work
half the time. Mainly it seems that is the case if you you try to change
the service name (which it wants to force as Service1). If you change the
name, it installs OK and sort of works. But if you try to uninstall it, it
says you are missing something.

C:\Documents and Settings\tsich>installutil \u
"c:\vsprojects\emailservice\bin\emailservice.exe"
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

Exception occurred while initializing the installation:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name u, or one of its
dependen
cies, was not found..

C:\Documents and Settings\tscheiderich>

This is impossible since, I just installed it. I ran the installutil -
which installed fine. I then do an F3 to get exactly the same line back
arrow back to just after the InstallUtil and add the \u you see above and it
says it is missing something???????

If I now F3 again, and take out the /u or choose the original one, it won't
install again, saying that it already exists.

This is driving me nuts.

You can't keep the Service1 or you can't create another service as your
install will tell you Service1 already exists.

How do you get around this?

Thanks,

Tom

Scott Allen

C:\Documents and Settings\tsich>installutil \u
"c:\vsprojects\emailservice\bin\emailservice.exe"
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

Exception occurred while initializing the installation:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name u, or one of its
dependen
cies, was not found..

Make sure to use a forward slash, i.e. installutil /u assemblyname