WinForm into WebForm with VS.NET 2003 or VS.NET 2005

Guest

Hi,

I created more than 10 Windows base application using VB.NET 2003 and now I
want to convert them Web base application (.aspx)

Each Windows base application run on exe file from different user, all I
want to know how to create user based web application and each user can
access the their own section and create a report and save in Excel file in
their C: directory.

All the application has only few button that connects into AS400 collects
the data analyse it antwer the each month data into ms access and then create
a monthly or weekly reports.

It was very challenging to me to use VB.NET 2003 to access AS400 and createa
report and it was very successful opersation some of the application moduls
(dll's) written in several months.

Now my boss wants all the Windows base application that I develope using
VB.NET 2003 to be converted into web base application.

I am wondering how much will be challenge me to acomplish these tasks. But
before I ask any info does anyone knows good converter that can allow me to
convert my VB.NET Windows base application into Web base (aspx) application?
Is there as such powerfull tool exist so I can over come the difficulties
that I am facing now?

I thank you all for your good understanding and reading my post.

Kind Regards,
Niyazi Toros

Aidy

Web development and desktop app development are worlds apart, you can't
really convert one to the other and the underlying technology and issues are
just too different. You'll probably have to write your app from scratch.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I am wondering how much will be challenge me to acomplish these tasks.

It largely depends what your WinForms apps do and how you've written them.

Generally speaking, actual code will require no modification at all so if
you've kept your code separate from your GUI, you'll already be half-way
there.

Remember that WebForms apps by default have absolutely no interaction with
the hardware on which the browser is running, so if your WinForms apps do
things like reading from or writing to the Registry you'll need to find
another mechanism for this...
Is there as such powerfull tool exist

I've not seen one which comes anywhere close - the two environments are just
too different...

Guest

Hi,

Thank you for the comments.
Normaly most of my Windows Form GUI hava buttons, and when user clicks one
of them it create new thread and new thread class it access few dlls and then
end of thraed one more time access clsEXCEL_REPORT dll and crates the excel
reports and save is under user C:\ directory.

There is no more GUI only buttons and one animation that show how much as
percentage will report going to be created.

Now if I going to start from scratch whats should I have to learn? My
firends says that .NET 2.0 or new VS.NET 2008 will be much better enviroment
to create all my app for INTRANET?

Any more suggestions?

Thank you for nice comment.

Kind Regards,