Winsound Problems on Vista 64

Casey

I have a new laptop that came with Vista 64 and I'm having problems
with some of my older code that I use for multimedia processing. I
narrowed the problem down to the winsound library; any attempt to play
sounds results in a fatal error. The simplest case is:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
RuntimeError: Failed to beep

I have been able to recreate this problem in Python 2.6.1 (32-bit),
3.0.1 (32-bit) and 3.0.1 (AMD64 bit, which I hope is compliant with my
IA64 CPU). I didn't find any open issues in the Python issue
tracker. I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the issue on
Vista 64 (I want to rule out that it is something with my audio
configuration). Also, if someone with Vista 32 could try this?

Terry Reedy

Casey said:
I have a new laptop that came with Vista 64 and I'm having problems
with some of my older code that I use for multimedia processing. I
narrowed the problem down to the winsound library; any attempt to play
sounds results in a fatal error. The simplest case is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
RuntimeError: Failed to beep

I have been able to recreate this problem in Python 2.6.1 (32-bit),
3.0.1 (32-bit) and 3.0.1 (AMD64 bit, which I hope is compliant with my
IA64 CPU).

IA64 is Itanium, not Pentium, and AMD64 is not compatible with that.
But I doubt that is what your laptop has.