Working a project on two computers

Bob

Hello:

VB.NET ASP.NET application.

I would like to be able to work on my project at home and at my office. I
first created it at the office and when I try to work on it at home, only
the original project files appear, some of which are not even in the project
anymore, with a yellow icon and an exclamation mark. I have access to the
development server from home so I thought I could just copy the sln file.

TIA

Bob

leelakrishna

Check whether u have dotnet framework installed in ur home system.If yes
then share the project folder which is at ur office.Now u can access the
project from ur home.

Bob

Juan:

Your kidding me right? I'm starting to have my doubts about building ASP.NET
apps. To have to pay $500.00 +, configure a client and a service, to be able
to work at home or if I need to do work on the road hardly seems worth it.

I understand the diff between interpreted and compiled code and the
performance benefits of ASP.NET but Dreamweaver still seems to be the better
choice. Especialy with the huge numbers using it.

On the other hand, now with Adobe buying Macromedia, who knows if they'll
destroy it. Seems likely they will.

There is no other way to work on my project from home?

TIA

Bob

Bob

leelakrishna:
Check whether u have dotnet framework installed in ur home system.If yes
then share the project folder which is at ur office.Now u can access the
project from ur home.

I do and I tried that first. Didn't work. I'm using VS 2003 on both
machines. Is it posible that somethig is corrupt?

TIA

Bob

Bob

leelakrishna & Juan:

Ok, I got it. Posibly my vbproj file might have got messed up. It didn't
have all the files listed in the XML so I added existing items and it works
from both location now.

I guess ASP.NET is off the chopping block for awhile

Thanks for suggestions.

Bob

Jordan

Why are you making this so difficult for yourself?

If you're on a budget and don't want to deal with connectivity issues
between home and office (nevermind all the setup issues you're currently
wasting time struggling with), then just create identical projects on both
machines. You develop on one - then when its time to go to the other, just
copy the modified files to the other (perhaps via USB drive). Low tech and
no problems.

-HTH

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Your kidding me right?

Well, you *could* duplicate the directory structure for your project,
and use either FTP or network shares to synch the directories after
you've worked with your project's files either at home or at the office.

That would cover it too, but it seems like a lot of work
in order to do something which VSS takes care of automatically.

Only you knows the value you place on your time.
At $50 an hour, you'd recover your investment in 10 hours.

That seems good enough for me,
although your mileage may very well vary.

re:
There is no other way to work on my project from home?

Normally, with VS.NET you should be able to open a project that's
located in a shared directory, and work with it as if you were there.

Check your home VS.NET's project configuration.
You should be able to open the project at work from home.

That assumes that no one will open the project at work
while you're at home. In that case, VSS would be essential.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
==========================

Bob

Juan & Jordan:

Yeah I see what you mean. As it turns out, my method didn't fair very well.
I was using the FP server extensions to connect. Doesn't seem like a good
approach. As you might have figured out by now, I'm still in my learning
stages. I setup a VPN and it's much MUCH better.

Thanks for the tips. As of now, there won't be more than one at a time
working on it. Just me. In any case, I just came home with a Francesco
Balena book. Programming MS VB.NET. I must say, the reviews were correct.
It's an awsome book. The writer gives a very good non bias explenation of
things which I realy appriciate. Many writers have biases that tend to mask
the truth. This one is very cleaqr and consise. I would certainly recomend
this one. Even to beginners.

Thanks again to both of you

Bob