Would you like to know how to create systems without code?

Guileh

Do you like to know how to program in java creating web applications
without code? Ask me how!

Lord Zoltar

Do you like to know how to program in java creating web applications
without code? Ask me how!

Code generation tools like JSF will only get you so far. Eventually,
you will still need someone who knows REAL code. And when the
generated code fails and throws exceptions, someone's gonna have to
debug it... and that stuff is usually much more painful to debug then
handwritten code.

Guileh

Code generation tools like JSF will only get you so far. Eventually,
you will still need someone who knows REAL code. And when the
generated code fails and throws exceptions, someone's gonna have to
debug it... and that stuff is usually much more painful to debug then
handwritten code.

Ok! That's true, but I'm talking about corporative systems which need
a fast development and implementation. And It's not a code genarator,
with a code genarator you realy need to correct some bugs yourself. To
better understanding you should access www.softwell.com.br, but the
website is in portuguese. I believe there is some english translation
there. Any questions contact me.

Lew

This is a mischaracterization of JSF (Java Server Faces). JSF is no more a
"code-generation tool" than, say, the Swing API is. JSF is a component
library and a framework, or set of frameworks, for using and deploying such
components, and for developing new ones. It's as real as it gets.

Lew

Chase said:
I agree, most code gens I have seen are complete crap, especially GUI
builders. If you ever get the chance look at the code the netbeans
gui builder generates. It's scary!!!

I disagree. Plethora of bangs aside, I find the generated code to be
reasonable, so far.

Roedy Green

Do you like to know how to program in java creating web applications
without code? Ask me how!

In general no. Look at the hundreds of crap frameworks there are out
there with butt-ugly syntax and half-baked functionality.

You will have to learn some new mickey mouse syntax to use them ,that
will do 80% of the job. Then you have to integrate that back with the
code in ways 10 times more complicated that writing plain code in the
first place. You can 't debug them.

These only work well for very simple problems that are trivial to deal
with in Java code anyway.

Lord Zoltar

This is a mischaracterization of JSF (Java Server Faces).  JSF is no more a
"code-generation tool" than, say, the Swing API is.  JSF is a component
library and a framework, or set of frameworks, for using and deploying such
components, and for developing new ones.  It's as real as it gets.

Yeah I guess I was a bit unclear... I was referring to the tools that
use JSF such as RAD7 and Eclipse. THAT'S what generates the code which
uses JSF. I mentioned JSF as an example because it's the most recent
attempt at generated code I've worked with, and also because I was
given the understanding that JSF was DESIGNED to be used with code
generation tools. From what I've seen so far, it's nice when it works,
but wretched when it fails.

Guileh

Yeah I guess I was a bit unclear... I was referring to the tools that
use JSF such as RAD7 and Eclipse. THAT'S what generates the code which
uses JSF. I mentioned JSF as an example because it's the most recent
attempt at generated code I've worked with, and also because I was
given the understanding that JSF was DESIGNED to be used with code
generation tools. From what I've seen so far, it's nice when it works,
but wretched when it fails.

I'm sure that you all should see this tool working... Maker isn't a
code generator! If you want it can show you the code in Java or .NET,
but the diference is that Maker program using Flowcharts, do you know
some tool like that?

Lord Zoltar

I'm sure that you all should see this tool working... Maker isn't a
code generator! If you want it can show you the code in Java or .NET,
but the diference is that Maker program using Flowcharts, do you know
some tool like that?

So if it doesn't generate code, what does it make? A standalone
executable?

So it goes from flowchart diagram to code in .NET/Java/$some_language?
I've heard of things like this, and even seen them. I've never used
them though...
I believe Dia has some plugins for that, or maybe for UML diagrams.
There was a KDE program I once saw that could also do that, and it
could also generate code from state-transition diagrams (can't
remember the name). Umbrello can also generate code from UML, don't
know about flowcharts. I'm pretty sure I've seen others.

Guileh

So if it doesn't generate code, what does it make? A standalone
executable?

So it goes from flowchart diagram to code in .NET/Java/$some_language?
I've heard of things like this, and even seen them. I've never used
them though...
I believe Dia has some plugins for that, or maybe for UML diagrams.
There was a KDE program I once saw that could also do that, and it
could also generate code from state-transition diagrams (can't
remember the name). Umbrello can also generate code from UML, don't
know about flowcharts. I'm pretty sure I've seen others.

The Maker 2 works using an interpreter named Webrun, it's like the
tomcat. The system is stored in a database. You create the database in
MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird or Oracle and then open this database with
the Maker. The Maker will generate the forms and the menus, after this
you can edit them and create the reports with a report bilder.

When you finish it and need to create functions to represent your
business rules you open the flowcharts editor. There you will declare
the variables and create your "code" or better your flowchart.

I posted it because I'm very impressed with the flexibility of this
tool.

Guileh

TheMaker2works using an interpreter named Webrun, it's like the
tomcat. The system is stored in a database. You create the database in
MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird or Oracle and then open this database with
theMaker. TheMakerwill generate the forms and the menus, after this
you can edit them and create the reports with a report bilder.

When you finish it and need to create functions to represent your
business rules you open the flowcharts editor. There you will declare
the variables and create your "code" or better your flowchart.

I posted it because I'm very impressed with the flexibility of this
tool.

To see the Maker 2 working access