WSDL Proxy class cannot connect to Web Service

Chris Wallis

We are using a third party Document Management System
which has a number of web services. I have created c#
proxy classes using WSDL.exe for each of the wsdl files
provided, and calls to the web service work fine when I
run them on my XP development machine.

However, when I publish the project to one of our
Production servers each call to a web service results in
the error

"The underlying connection was closed. The remote name
could not be resolved".

This looks similar to the problem fixed by Knowledgebase
article 819450 but I do not see how to fix it when I am
not using a web service as a Web Reference but rather via
the proxy class created by wsdl.exe.

Of course this might be a red herring, since I really
cannot understand why it works from my XP box but not the
server?

Note: I had to copy the wsdl files to my XP box before
running wsdl.exe because there was security on the web
service web site which I was unable to get around using
wsdl.exe. I assume this will make no difference to the
proxy c# class created.

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

can you resolve the name of the target server, fom the "production server"
?

Chris Wallis

Web services are actually a red herring here because as
part of my investigations I build a text page which
literally created an XmlDocument and used the Load method
pointed to a htm file on the Server.

Again this worked fine from my XP box but failed with
the "The underlying connection was closed. The remote name
could not be resolved" error when the code is installed on
a Production Web server.

Interestingly, when I use the Production Server of the
Document Management System rather than the Dev box, both
the web services and the XmlDocument.Load work from both
the XP box and the Production Web Server.

In Summary, I can reach the Production Document Management
Server from both my XP box and our Production Web Server,
but I can only reach the Development Document Management
Server from my XP box.

For now I am having to continue development on the
Production Document Management Server which is far from
ideal, but I really have no idea why I cannot connect to
the Development Document Management Server from our
Production Web Servers.

Any other ideas would be most welcome.