    Thanks in advance.
    --
    Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada.

    Tony Vella, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tony Vella <>
    writing in news::

    > I have been using AceHTML as editor for my web-pages for quite a few
    > years and within my limitations it seems to be doing whatever I want it
    > to do - nothing extraordinary, I assure you. My question is: I have an
    > opportunity to get my hands on Macromedia Dreamweaver - what would
    > getting it give me that I don't have? I ask because I have read a lot
    > of posts about DW but don't know the first thing about it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > --
    > Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada.

    Ace is a text editor, DreamWeaver has text editing ability, but really is
    not a text editor. Dreamweaver project tracking ability, but so does
    Ace.

    For my money, which isn't much, I'd stay with Ace. Actually, I'll go one
    better and suggest HTML-Kit <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>, more
    plugins and IMHO a better editor, and it's FREE.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Tony Vella

    David Segall Guest

    Tony Vella <> wrote:

    >I have been using AceHTML as editor for my web-pages for quite a few
    >years and within my limitations it seems to be doing whatever I want it
    >to do - nothing extraordinary, I assure you. My question is: I have an
    >opportunity to get my hands on Macromedia Dreamweaver - what would
    >getting it give me that I don't have? I ask because I have read a lot
    >of posts about DW but don't know the first thing about it.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    In addition to editing HTML (or XML, JSP, ASP etc) text with code
    completion and user definable formatting Dreamweaver allows you to
    edit using a visual editor and a CSS editor. The visual editor uses a
    simple drag and drop metaphor to lay out or alter your page and you
    don't need to look at the HTML. Similarly the CSS editor allows you to
    view the CSS style(s) that affect the text or visual element you are
    looking at and change it at any level. Even fairly trivial changes
    adopt the idea that you should be able to edit your HTML by using the
    most convenient view of it. For example, if you rename an image file
    in the File View, Dreamweaver will offer to change the references to
    it in all the HTML files in the project.

    Of course, there will be something about Dreamweaver, apart from the
    price, that is "worse" than AceHTML but I doubt if it will be a
    showstopper. The web site
    <http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/> gives a better sales
    pitch than I can and the free thirty day trial
    <http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
    provides a way to check out the details.

    David Segall, Jan 1, 2006