ASP.NET and DataSets

Shawn Wildermuth

What happened to an alternative to DataSource's? I have given up trying
to use DataSources for a specific use where a 3rd party control wouldn't
work with them. So how can I use traditional DataSet's on ASPX or ASCX files.
WHen I add them to the component surface, I still can't use it as a data
source on controls on the non-component design surface. Is it this broken?

If I hadn't started the project with the with Profile, Membership and Personalization...i'd
ditch the 2005 project right now and re-implement it all. Am I screwed?

Thanks,
Shawn Wildermuth
Speaker, Author and C# MVP

Mr Newbie

When you say you cant use them as datasources for controls which designer
does not have on the surface, do you mean that if you programatically set
the datasource and bind them that the bindngs do not take effect ?

Shawn Wildermuth

Hello Mr Newbie,

Programmatically setting them does work, but for my client's skillset, I
want to be able to see them at design-time so he can do binding without the
headaches of writing code to do it. What I mean by "Not on the standard
design surface" is that they are added to teh Component Design Surface (right
click a page or control and select "View Component Designer").

Thanks,
Shawn Wildermuth
Speaker, Author and C# MVP

Mr Newbie

Ahh, I see. Unfortunately I dont have 2005 here at the moment, but if it
does not allows design time binding than that is a bit crappy I must admit.
Are you using the release candidate, I assume you are ?

Shawn Wildermuth

Hello Mr Newbie,

Yup, but this behavior was reported in B1 and B2. If it still is broken,
it's likely to get a "Won't Fix" from MS which will really annoy many developers.
I'd hate to see ASP.NET 2.0 not be taken on for some organizations just
because of problems with DataSources, DataBinding and the lack of a non-TableAdapter
Typed DataSet.

Thanks,
Shawn Wildermuth
Speaker, Author and C# MVP

Mr Newbie

I dont think that alone will stop it being taken on.

However, there is likely to be a lack of confidence that evolves from the
"Not entirely finished" feeling you get when basic stuff like this has not
been addressed. And if there are a few of these basics which never make it
to the release product then this could lead to the product adoption being a
little slower than Microsoft would hope for.

Perhaps they should have called it VS 2006 and then they could have
finished the job without rushing it out the door with holes in.

:))