    Could someone please tell me the easiest way to do this, or if there's a
    Dreamweaver specific group which might be a better place to ask?

    TIA
    Merlin Zener, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Merlin Zener wrote:

    > What I was hoping to be able to do is set the page properties such as
    > background color, text color and so on - and then have all my new pages
    > open up with those attributes already set. Even better would be if I could
    > make some change to those attributes, and then "apply to the entire site".

    body {
    background-color: #abcdef;
    color: #fedcba;
    }

    in an external style sheet, the details can then be changed at will.

    No idea how you would do this in Dreamweaver though, I find applications
    that try to take graphical input and generate a webpage hinder rather then
    help.

    <http://dorward.me.uk/www/css/#tutorials> might be of use.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Merlin Zener wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm just trying to do something real quick and easy in Dreamweaver
    > [which I bought ages ago and never got around to doing anything much
    > with it]. What I was hoping to be able to do is set the page
    > properties such as background color, text color and so on - and then
    > have all my new pages open up with those attributes already set. Even
    > better would be if I could make some change to those attributes, and
    > then "apply to the entire site".

    As another response says, learn about CSS. You'll be glad you did. But DW
    creates each new file using a default template, which you can alter. (Copy it
    first).

    On W2000, for DW4, it is in:

    C: > Program Files > Macromedia > Dreamweaver 4 > Configuration > Templates >
    Default.html

    (I changed mine to add a DOCTYPE, put a language in the <html>, and use
    lower-case tags).

    [snip]
    > Could someone please tell me the easiest way to do this, or if
    > there's a Dreamweaver specific group which might be a better place to
    > ask?

    macromedia.dreamweaver

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
    Barry Pearson, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Merlin Zener

    Steve R. Guest

    Merlin Zener wrote in message ...
    > What I was hoping to be able to do is set the page properties such as
    > background color, text color and so on - and then have all my new pages
    > open up with those attributes already set.

    Create one page as you like. Copy it to a 'temp' folder. Rename it and copy
    it back to the original folder. Now you have two files as you wish, copy
    these two to your temp, rename and copy back to original. Now you have
    four. Copy those four to temp, rename and copy back to original. Now you
    have eight, then sixteen, then thirty-two, and so on. Doesn't take long.

    Steve.
    Steve R., Jan 5, 2004
  5. Look into templates in Dreamweaver. You make one page the way you like it
    then save it as a template. You can then make new pages using that template.
    When you want to make a change you edit the template and then Dreamweaver
    will ask if you want to apply the changes to all the pages made using it.
    Say yes and all the changes are applied.

    Matthew Paulosky, Jan 8, 2004