Female Java Programmers...

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

I am slowly but surely nerdifying my girlfriend.

My girlfriend is now able to code HTML and CSS.

I'm going to marry her soon. (Note that I asked her *before* she knew
HTML/CSS! ;-)

Ciao,
Ingo

joseph_daniel_zukiger

Pavel said:
I suppose I should have realized that this could easily become a topic
of debate BEFORE I hit the send button. But, since I didn't, I will
attempt to take my keyboard out of my mouth, and qualify my vague
statement in hopes that a fiery rage does not ensue.

Simply put, I feel it would be "easier" to have a relationship with a
woman, if they shared "ALL" of the same interests as I do. In 'my'
experience, there are certainly not enough women that seem to be
interested in computers and/or programming of any kind.

I was once engaged to a woman who shared my interested in
microprocessor programming.

One of several problems we had was that she was happy with her 8085
protoboard, and thought the 8086 was a great processor.

I have since noticed that girl geeks and I tend to disagree on
precisely the points that would have made it the most difficult for me
to get along with them.

YMMV
Although I know that this does not prohibit me from finding a decent,
wholesome woman... I do believe that it would be easier to come home and
be able to explain why my day was so cool because I hammered out 5000
lines of code with a new API.

5000 in a day? Are you sure that was you and not Castor or JAXB?

I can't remember a time I've pumped out 500 lines of code in one day.
Well, I think I may have a couple of times particularly way late at
night and then I have to go back the next day and delete all but about
ten because the rest solved the wrong problem, or I found myself
spending the next day or so refactoring and bringing the line and level
of implicit coupling way down.
It may also be easier to be able to come
home and maybe for just 10 minutes vent a little bit about why my JVM
destroyed my day. Instead I get... "Babe, I don't know what the
<expletive deleted> you're talking about." , or "That's nice, Dear, but
I need new shoes." , or "Java?, Sorry we just ran out of coffee."

As a man who is married to an opposite, I must admit that it's
sometimes better that way.

She might, instead, ask why you insist on using *that* stupid vm. Or
not ask, just look at you with that worried look, as if she knows she
has to let you make your own mistakes.
And perhaps "easier" is the wrong term for my initial rant, because this
could definitely cause more problems than it's worth...

Puzzles make life more interesting, too.

YMMV

Monique Y. Mudama

5000 in a day? Are you sure that was you and not Castor or JAXB?

I can't remember a time I've pumped out 500 lines of code in one
day. Well, I think I may have a couple of times particularly way
late at night and then I have to go back the next day and delete all
but about ten because the rest solved the wrong problem, or I found
myself spending the next day or so refactoring and bringing the line
and level of implicit coupling way down.

500 isn't horrifically unreasonable, if you're writing all fresh code
(as opposed to having to weave it into existing code) and have a
strong grasp of what needs to get done.

5000 does seem to be stretching it, unless you wrote a script to
autogenerate some repetitive code and count the results as code you
wrote =)

Luc The Perverse

Monique Y. Mudama said:
5000 does seem to be stretching it, unless you wrote a script to
autogenerate some repetitive code and count the results as code you
wrote =)

I wrote 5000 lines of code in a few seconds once that way.

Granted the entire premise of that "scripting" was flawed.

Kinda funny actually, I had a function being called about every 1 second
with an incrementing integer which was fed into a giant switch statement.
It should have been a thread with a few for loops.

joseph_daniel_zukiger

Monique said:
500 isn't horrifically unreasonable, if you're writing all fresh code
(as opposed to having to weave it into existing code) and have a
strong grasp of what needs to get done.

500 lines in a day isn't horrifically unreasonable?

I'm having trouble imagining hand generating 500 lines of useable code
in a day, and not from a code generator (including GUI generators),
even if I am writing fresh code and have a strong grasp of what needs
to be done. Somehow, I have this idea that, if the problem is that well
defined, I'm going to already have a class or set of classes that does
the job, or a code generation tool of some sort.

Am I expecting too much of Java?

500 lines converting a carefully designed API spec to interfaces and
simple base classes, I suppose I could see, Java being wordy as it is.
(Not that Wordy is necessarily being a bad thing when wordiness can be
used to make dependencies and such explicit.) But I don't think I could
see that as anything close to a repeatable rate, even in that case,
unless the engineers who designed the API know Java so well that the
design clarifies all the implementation issues ahead of time.

Chris Uppal

I'm having trouble imagining hand generating 500 lines of useable code
in a day, and not from a code generator (including GUI generators),
even if I am writing fresh code and have a strong grasp of what needs
to be done. Somehow, I have this idea that, if the problem is that well
defined, I'm going to already have a class or set of classes that does
the job, or a code generation tool of some sort.

I largely agree. There have been times when I've cranked out code that fast or
faster (I'm pretty quick when I'm on a roll), but normally I'd say that if you
are in that position then there's a good chance that you are missing a chance
to abstract and/or automate. If the code doesn't need thinking about to
write[*], then that is at least a fairly strong hint that you might be better
off telling the computer to write it for you, or that there is some other level
of abstraction that you are missing.

([*]Which should be a fairly rare situation, for precisely the reason given
above.)

Of course, that does depend on the quality of the tools you have available for
automation and abstraction. In inexpressive languages like C or Java, there
aren't many tools "in the box", so you are more likely to find yourself in a
position where it is both possible and appropriate to crank out code "quickly"
than if you were using, say, Lisp.

-- chris

bugbear

500 lines in a day isn't horrifically unreasonable?

I'm having trouble imagining hand generating 500 lines of useable code
in a day, and not from a code generator (including GUI generators),
even if I am writing fresh code and have a strong grasp of what needs
to be done. Somehow, I have this idea that, if the problem is that well
defined, I'm going to already have a class or set of classes that does
the job, or a code generation tool of some sort.

The only time I've generated (working...) code at that
rate was writing header parsers for image formats.

Somce (old) image formats are well documented, but quite
messy.

So you generate quite a lot of simple code,
that is't quite... simple enough to factor out.

This makes for a high rate of code-line generation.

In all other cases, yeah, 100-200 lines a day of debugged, working,
maintainable code is about the going rate.

This always surprises "bedroom geniuses"

BugBear

phoenixinfoway

Hi Guys
This is Arun from PHOENIX IT CONSULTING, We are on a lookout for java
guys for Corporate Training. We assure you handsome perks on a per day
basis.If this proposal interests you please mail ur complete profile to
(e-mail address removed) or call me at 098802-95986

Oliver Wong

500 lines in a day isn't horrifically unreasonable?

Lines is kind of an iffy metric anyway. Maybe the OP puts the curly
braces on seperate lines, and maybe you don't. JavaDocs add a lot of "easy
lines" too ("/**" counts as a line, right?).

- Oliver

Wes Williams

Oliver said:
Lines is kind of an iffy metric anyway. Maybe the OP puts the curly
braces on seperate lines, and maybe you don't. JavaDocs add a lot of
"easy lines" too ("/**" counts as a line, right?).

- Oliver

Indeed, perhaps they were also counting their, obviously failed, pickup
lines at the local pub in that metric as well?

Martin Gregorie

Chris said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

I largely agree. There have been times when I've cranked out code that fast or
faster (I'm pretty quick when I'm on a roll), but normally I'd say that if you
are in that position then there's a good chance that you are missing a chance
to abstract and/or automate.
There's another case, though its a bit rare. Some time back I was
working on a large online system where we had a number of modules that
pulled data out of the database and displayed it to answer queries. We
had a standard query response skeleton that just needed filling with
appropriate DB access statements and display formatting statements: the
rest of the system was menu-driven and had already collected the data
retrieval keys. This was entirely COBOL code using an IDMSX database in
case you're wondering.

Completed result display modules ran to about 300 lines of code not
counting the stuff that the IDMSX preprocessor injected. It was
generally possible to write, test and debug one of these in a day
without working overtime.

=======================

Another factoid that's always fascinated me is that, while programmers
vary widely in the number of lines of clean compiled and unit tested
code they can write a day, the number of lines any individual can
produce a day is almost independent of the programming language used.
IOW, most of the productivity gain going from assembler -> high level
language -> task specific languages (e.g., a 4GL, PowerBuilder, Perl,
awk, ...) is simply due to the fact that you can program a specific task
in fewer source lines.

This was discovered by the Lyons Organization, a British mid-20th
century Starbucks equivalent, who developed and used the worlds first
purpose designed business computer, the LEO series, in the early '50s.

anal_aviator

Hi Guys
This is Arun from PHOENIX IT CONSULTING, We are on a lookout for java
guys for Corporate Training. We assure you handsome perks on a per day
basis.If this proposal interests you please mail ur complete profile to
(e-mail address removed) or call me at 098802-95986

We are talking about programmer sexual fantasies not job opportunities.
Also your advertisement breaks any number of equal opportunities laws, and as
for your English skills , well!!

Gerbrand

(e-mail address removed) schreef:
And since we are on the subject of Java & relationships :)

*HOW to improve your sex-appeal with a good Java program* :

That's really funny :).
Altough I not necessarely agree about the last alinea ;-).