Frames are Wonderful

Arondelle

SpaceGirl said:
get a new host for god sake.

The day I can afford it. Right now, just maintaining access is breaking
the bank. And, no, I can't even afford $5.00 a month right now. :-/

Arondelle

Karl Groves

Arondelle said:
The day I can afford it. Right now, just maintaining access is breaking
the bank. And, no, I can't even afford $5.00 a month right now. :-/

Then you should spend less time trying to learn HTML and more time trying to
find a higher paying job.

-Karl

Arondelle

Karl said:
Then you should spend less time trying to learn HTML and more time trying to
find a higher paying job.

Thank you for your kind advice. Any sort of job would do right now, as
I have been unemployed going on two years now. Thank you, George W.
Bush. :-/

Arondelle

brucie

in post: <
Arondelle said:
Any sort of job would do right now, as I have been unemployed going
on two years now.

are you 18+, have a high pain threshold and want to live in australia?

Arondelle

brucie said:
are you 18+, have a high pain threshold and want to live in australia?

Maybe -- but I can't afford the airfare, regardless. And, I'd have to
bring my DH, too. :p

Arondelle

SpaceGirl

Arondelle said:
New Hampshire. All the manufacturing and tech jobs have gone elsewhere,
and I'm "over-qualified" for jobs at Wal-mart and McDonald's.

Arondelle

BTDT... spent 6 months with little freelance work and no day job to fall
back on and mounting debts... I had to start lying saying that I had no
experience just to try get interviews at retail places. Thankfully, my
portfolio did its job at the very last minute before we were in deep
deep trouble (mortgage payments). My partner, on the other hand,
couldn't find a design job in time and started working at a retail shop,
which in the end turned out to be The Best Job Ever (tm). (She sells
movie collectables, gets really good pay, gets to do the window displays
and designs their posters, and probably will get offered the assistant
managers job at the end of the month - and this is her first ever job!)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Arondelle

SpaceGirl said:
BTDT... spent 6 months with little freelance work and no day job to fall
back on and mounting debts... I had to start lying saying that I had no
experience just to try get interviews at retail places. Thankfully, my
portfolio did its job at the very last minute before we were in deep
deep trouble (mortgage payments). My partner, on the other hand,
couldn't find a design job in time and started working at a retail shop,
which in the end turned out to be The Best Job Ever (tm). (She sells
movie collectables, gets really good pay, gets to do the window displays
and designs their posters, and probably will get offered the assistant
managers job at the end of the month - and this is her first ever job!)

I've tried zeroing out my resume, which would probably work if I were a
Twenty-Something. However, I'm a Fifty-Something, and no one believes
that I'd gone my whole life without holding a job. "Displaced
Homemaker" doesn't cut in these parts, either. And, there seems to be a
threshold crossed at fifty which makes women stupid, or at least forget
everything they've ever learned. I wish that were true: at least I'd be
mindless and happy, and not have to worry.

Arondelle

Karl Groves

Arondelle said:
in?

New Hampshire. All the manufacturing and tech jobs have gone elsewhere,
and I'm "over-qualified" for jobs at Wal-mart and McDonald's.

I was unemployed for 18 months starting in January 2002. I remember going to
job interviews and then getting my call saying "We're sorry, but you're
overqualified for this job" and I'd be like "WHAT THE ****?!?! I have bills
to pay, rent overdue, my car's about to be repossessed and you're gonna turn
me down because I'm over-fucking-qualified?!?"

-Karl

SpaceGirl

Arondelle said:
I've tried zeroing out my resume, which would probably work if I were a
Twenty-Something. However, I'm a Fifty-Something, and no one believes
that I'd gone my whole life without holding a job. "Displaced
Homemaker" doesn't cut in these parts, either. And, there seems to be a
threshold crossed at fifty which makes women stupid, or at least forget
everything they've ever learned. I wish that were true: at least I'd be
mindless and happy, and not have to worry.

Arondelle

Okay... perhaps negotiate space with someone who has it to spare? There
must be people who'd offer up something.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Ash

Cogito said:
Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
design into non-frame. It wasn't long before the thread digressed into
some esoteric discussion that was of no help in my efforts to
understand how to go about it.

So here it is again. I have a web page that consists of a frame with
two columns. There is an index column on the left and contents on the
right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page. Obviously my
problem is how do I handle the left index column so that I do not have
to code it in every page?

I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.
First of all, I'm assuming that you index is in the form of a table. If
it isn't, amke it one, it looks nicer :) Second, turn your table into a
list of JavaScript commands, like so:

document.write("</table class='myclass'>");
document.write("</table>");

Then, place the above code into a /js file. Then, wherever you want a
table, just put:
<script type="JavaScript" src="table.js"></script>
Or something along those lines.

You can do this for links at the bottom of pages, too. And the cool part
is that you only have to modify one file in order to chage the look of
all the tables(kind of like CSS).

Ash

SpaceGirl said:
Okay... perhaps negotiate space with someone who has it to spare? There
must be people who'd offer up something.

My site is currently hosted by a former co-worker of mine who runs his
own ISP. He's also between jobs at the moment, but really doesn't have
the time to spare setting up all the programs necessary to run SSI,
etc.. I don't have the necessary expertise to do it myself, and
wouldn't load executables and start messing around, regardless.
Something about not biting the hand that feeds you, i.e., he's giving me
the (ad-free) space for nothing, so I don't want to screw up his server.
It would not be polite: never mess with a guy who can completely trash
your website with the flick of a switch.

If I had unlimited resources, I'd fire up my own server upon which I
could do whatever I want. Nice dreams....

Arondelle