Frames are Wonderful

Eric B. Bednarz

Toby Inkster said:
Eric said:

It's only informative, but:

| B.3.3 SGML features with limited support [...]
| B.3.5 Marked Sections [...]

Well, I don't want to overstress the value of my little joke, but I
don't quite grok the relevance of that spec's prose concerning marked
sections for general entity (declarations|references). Entity
references are even commonly used in productive document instance sets,
BTW. Admittedly within boring limits.

Eric B. Bednarz

Sam Hughes said:
But HTML is the language that is defined in the document type definition,

In syntactical terms, a document type definition is the sum of the
external and internal declaration subsets dumped in the document type
declaration, downwards the declared root element type, applicable for
exactly that one document instance all of them were found in.
and more importantly, the specification itself.

There's no way to invoke the specification (or even its syntactical
part) within a document instance (not that this is relevant for the
matter in any way :).
Just because you have
some SGMLism that makes a document parse with the validator does not mean
that it's HTML. :)

Since HTML calls itself quite normatively an 'SGML application' all of
the 'isms apply (and are authoritatively defined in ISO8879--there's no
'convention' trapdoor that allows for the magician leaving the stage
whenever he sees fit).
Let us join together in mass worship of the all-knowing validator!

No, thanks (BTDT).

Leif K-Brooks

Ash said:
First of all, I'm assuming that you index is in the form of a table. If
it isn't, amke it one, it looks nicer :) Second, turn your table into a
list of JavaScript commands, like so:

document.write("</table class='myclass'>");
document.write("</table>");

Then, place the above code into a /js file. Then, wherever you want a
table, just put:
<script type="JavaScript" src="table.js"></script>
Or something along those lines.

I hate to feed trolls, but you might actually mislead someone.

There's no way to know the precise value, but most estimates say that
around 10% of users don't have Javascript support, or turn it off.
Making Javascript support a requirement of your web site is sort of like
turning off your web server for a month every year.

And no, you shouldn't be using tables for layout in the first place. A
layout is not tabular data.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mark Parnell
Ha! I use HTML-Kit, but the last time it was updated was 2002,
(according to the copyright information in the program). There's
nothing on the site saying it is no longer under development, but after
2 years you've got to wonder...

You know, with all the plugins available, and new ones being written all
the time, maybe there is no need to update the core program. Maybe
they're just not fixing what's not broken.

Mark Parnell

[HTML-Kit]
You know, with all the plugins available, and new ones being written all
the time, maybe there is no need to update the core program. Maybe
they're just not fixing what's not broken.

Maybe. Perhaps I should take another look at all the plugins. There are
a couple of things in the core program that annoy me, that I don't think
can be fixed via plugins (though I'm happy to be proved wrong!), but you
may be right.

Ash

Mark said:
She did. Your point?

No she didn't. She responded to the original post I'm talking about
SpaceGirl. You can't use a news reader, either. Now you're the dumbass,
dumbass.

Mark Parnell

No she didn't.

Maybe your newsreader screwed the threading up but it appeared correctly
here.
She responded to the original post

No, she responded to your post the second time you sent it. From the
headers in her post:

The original post was said:
I'm talking about SpaceGirl.
Duh.

You can't use a news reader, either.

Then how am I sending these messages?
Now you're the dumbass, dumbass.

Hmmm. Very intelligent. *plonk*

Webcastmaker

I was unemployed for 18 months starting in January 2002. I remember going to
job interviews and then getting my call saying "We're sorry, but you're
overqualified for this job" and I'd be like "WHAT THE ****?!?! I have bills
to pay, rent overdue, my car's about to be repossessed and you're gonna turn
me down because I'm over-fucking-qualified?!?"

Your resume did not reflect the skill set the companys were looking
for? "Over qualified" just means one did not do their homework about
the company and the job.

When we interview new people, we ask them leading questions about our
company to see if they even bothered to see what we did. We are only
interested in people that took enough interest in the position to do
a little research about our company.

Ash

rf said:
Then how do you explain this?
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/dumbass.gif

The highlighted post is yours. Spacegirl responded to it.

Perhaps you are using a dumbass newsreader :)
Jesus, anything is better than OE, you wanker.

+Original Post

+-+My original post
| |
| +Leif K-Brooks Reply to my original post

+SpaceGirl's Reply to me, but to Cogito's Original post

you dumbass wanker

Ash

Ash said:
Jesus, anything is better than OE, you wanker.

+Original Post

+-+My original post
| |
| +Leif K-Brooks Reply to my original post

+SpaceGirl's Reply to me, but to Cogito's Original post

you dumbass wanker
BTW, you OE wanker, I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusivly on a Fedora
Core 2 system.