    is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    iframe:

    http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    nddd, May 12, 2006

  2. nddd

    ironcorona Guest

    nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    > textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    > is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    > iframe:
    >
    > http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    Why would you design a web page that looks like a real newspaper? If I
    want that real newspaper look and feel I'll go out and buy a newspaper.

    It's an impressive page though.

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 12, 2006

  3. nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    > textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    > is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    > iframe:
    >
    > http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    Not for dialup! Got tired of waiting for it to load....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, May 12, 2006
  4. nddd

    ironcorona Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > nddd wrote:
    >> Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    >> textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    >> is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    >> iframe:
    >>
    >> http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html
    >>

    > Not for dialup! Got tired of waiting for it to load....

    Wow, Dialup. Old School!

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 12, 2006
  5. "nddd" <> wrote in message

    > http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    My default is Flash off so the website would be dead in the water for me
    UNLESS there was something in the front page that told me a little about the
    site and gave me a reason to turn it on.

    That said, once past the front door it's VERY hard to read. Small fonts (and
    I have a large screen with large fonts) and it's hard to follow the article
    without dragging the page all over the place, or using those awkward scroll
    bars that are hard to see against the busy background.

    It's almost like somebody simply photocopied an open magazine -- doesn't
    work for me at all on screen.

    Michael Laplante, May 12, 2006
  6. nddd

    Jim Moe Guest

    nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    > textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    > is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    > iframe:

    I suspect that you feel this site is a marvel of modern technology.
    One of my first thoughts was: What a pain this must be to create every
    day, and to maintain.
    At first I had a completely blank page. I have Flash disabled. There was
    *nothing* to encourage me to activate it.
    When I did, it took 40 seconds to load on a DSL line! Then I could not
    read anything, the text is too small. And it has the usual squirmy stuff
    Flash developers are so obsessed with.
    Everything about this site is annoying. It only confirms my opinion that
    Flash (and similar) is the most utterly useless concept conceived for the WWW.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 12, 2006
  7. nddd

    ironcorona Guest

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > Everything about this site is annoying. It only confirms my opinion that
    > Flash (and similar) is the most utterly useless concept conceived for the WWW.

    Apparently, along with Quicktime it's one of the ways that IPTV is
    expected to take off because of it's ubiquity. But I agree, for text
    based content use the system that is designed for text.

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 12, 2006
  8. nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    > textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    > is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    > iframe:
    >
    > http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    First the page takes WAY too long to load. Tell your flash developers
    to start optimizing and using as much JUT loading as it can. This will
    make the experience even on dialup more pleasurable. I am on cable
    and I got bored waiting for it to start.

    If you want "constructive Criticism" about a Flash website then you
    need to go to a group that is pro flash. This is hardly a pro flash
    newgroup. Here you will just get criticism from people that don't like
    flash to start with. (for the most part, not everyone)

    Oh, flash is now search able by the big search engines. so putting
    things in an iframe are just making things more complicated for no
    reason.

    Travis Newbury, May 12, 2006
  9. nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    > textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    > is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    > iframe:
    >
    > http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    Oh, from a Flash lover. The site is ok, but I agree with someone else
    that said, if I want to read a magazine, I will read a magazine. Come
    up with something unique (this isn't unique). You Flash developers
    seem good enough to do that.

    Travis Newbury, May 12, 2006
  10. nddd

    Andy Dingley Guest

    nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application.

    Welcome to the Web. It's like magazines, only not made of paper. It's
    quicker and it has better navigation than paper too -- you should try
    it sometime.

    I see a site like this and I'm reminded of the "mechanical horse
    robots" that were drawn as the first way of making steam-powered
    carriages. They didn't work particularly well either.

    Andy Dingley, May 12, 2006
  11. ironcorona wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> nddd wrote:
    >>> Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    >>> textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    >>> is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    >>> iframe:
    >>>
    >>> http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html
    >>>

    >> Not for dialup! Got tired of waiting for it to load....

    > Wow, Dialup. Old School!

    Not by choice! No cable, phone line works but no DSL or ISDN...Verzion
    has no plans of upgrade, result dialup.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 12, 2006
  12. nddd

    ironcorona Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > ironcorona wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Not for dialup! Got tired of waiting for it to load....

    >> Wow, Dialup. Old School!

    > Not by choice! No cable, phone line works but no DSL or ISDN...Verzion
    > has no plans of upgrade, result dialup.

    Ah, but you have another option
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 12, 2006
  13. nddd

    ironcorona Guest

    ironcorona wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> ironcorona wrote:

    >>> Wow, Dialup. Old School!

    >> Not by choice! No cable, phone line works but no DSL or ISDN...Verzion
    >> has no plans of upgrade, result dialup.

    > Ah, but you have another option
    > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

    Two options actually. I nearly for got this one
    http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/08/data_transfer_via_sn.html

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 12, 2006
  14. ironcorona wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Not by choice! No cable, phone line works but no DSL or ISDN...Verzion
    >> has no plans of upgrade, result dialup.

    > Ah, but you have another option
    > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

    Would be funny if I weren't living it! ;-) Actually we are supposed to
    get BPL (Broadband over Power Line) as one of two pilot programs to
    combat the 'Digital Divide'. Was suppose to be up and running by '05
    but Katrina put a kink in the works as I am told...the hardware company
    is in Alabama, so it has been delayed to sometime this year...we'll see.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 12, 2006
  15. nddd

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 04:55:08 GMT, "Michael Laplante"
    <> wrote:

    >My default is Flash off so the website would be dead in the water for me
    >UNLESS there was something in the front page that told me a little about the
    >site and gave me a reason to turn it on.

    I have loads of bandwidth, but still have Flash turned off by default
    (FF AniBlock extension) It's not the download time that bothers me,
    it's the fact that Flash is all too often _detrimental_ to the quality
    of the page -- it's simply running annoying animated ads in what could
    easily be a simple page.

    Here's one of the ugliest Flash-heavy sites I know
    http://gamesradar.com

    (I had _nothing_ to do with this generation of the site!)

    Andy Dingley, May 12, 2006
  16. nddd

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    nddd wrote:
    > Here is an example of a page that presentsa flash application. The
    > textual content of the pageis searchable by search engines asthe text
    > is in the source ofthe page butthe flash applicationis pulled in via an
    > iframe:
    >
    > http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/am.html

    That form of navigation doesn't work on the web.....
    Can I suggest that you get rid of the Iframe and you could quite easily
    do a better job of that page useing plain HTML....
    It would work better and at least you could re-size the text, if done
    properly.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc/contact.html

    Chaddy2222, May 14, 2006