JIT Debugging error when trying to exec app external to ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?c25pY2tz?=, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. I'm trying to exec a program external to my ASP.NET app using the following
    code. The external app is a VB.NET application.

    Dim sPPTOut As String
    sPPTOut = MDEPDirStr + sID + ".ppt"
    Dim p As New System.Diagnostics.Process

    'p.Start(MDEPDirStr & "macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    p.Start("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CALC.EXE")
    'p.Start("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\macrun.exe", sPPTOut)

    The problem is that the two commented lines generate:

    JIT Debugging failed with the following error: Access is denied.

    errors. The uncommented exec of CALC.EXE works w/o issue. Running
    macrun.exe from a command prompt works w/o issue.

    Big picture is that I'm creating a PowerPoint file on the server and after
    saving it to the server file system I need to run a macro embedded in the
    PPT. macrun.exe opens the PPT and runs the macro.

    I've tried other methods of execing the program with similar results:

    Shell("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CALC.EXE")
    'Shell(MDEPDirStr & "macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    'Shell(MDEPDirStr & "macrun.exe " & sPPTOut)

    Dim sPPTOut As String
    sPPTOut = MDEPDirStr + sID + ".ppt"
    Dim listFiles As System.Diagnostics.Process
    listFiles = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(MDEPDirStr &
    "macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    listFiles.WaitForExit(2000)
    If listFiles.HasExited Then
    'Dim output As String = myOutput.ReadToEnd
    'Debug.WriteLine(output)
    End If

    =?Utf-8?B?c25pY2tz?=, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Hi Snicks,

    Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    From your description, you're using the System.Diagnostics.Process class to
    execute an external custom program(exe file) fomr your asp.net web
    application. However, you're getting Access Denied error when executing
    that app , yes?

    Based on your description on the custom program "macrun.exe" which will
    create PPT file and running macro, I think it is likely the running process
    idenitity dosn't have sufficient permission to create/modify certain folder
    since it has file accessing operations in it...... When you use the .net's
    System.Diagnostics.Process class to executing a new process, it will
    inherit the security context(process idenitity) from the parent process
    (the ASP.NET worker process), so running that external app from asp.net app
    is different from command line(which running under the current logon
    user....). What's the server version and IIS version you're developing
    with and what's the current process identity of your asp.net app( have you
    used impersonate or not...)...

    BTW, you can consider using Filemon tool to monitor the file accessing on
    the server when your asp.net app try executing that custom program...
    Filemon can capture the file accessing failure and we can have a look at
    the path and security identity that cause the problem...

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 18, 2006

  3. RE: JIT Debugging error when trying to exec app external to ASP.NE

    I'm running the dev env on my local machine - XP. I tried to run filemon.exe
    from start\run but it was not found. I checked the World Wide Web Publishing
    service and it is running C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe.
    inetinfo.exe has a file version of 5.1.2600.2180 and same product version.
    The ASPNET user is a member of the users group. ASP.NET State Service was
    actually not started but it was setup to log on as NT
    AUTHORITY\NetworkService. I started the ASP.NET State Service, tried
    reruning the app and received the same error.

    Thanks Steven

    =?Utf-8?B?c25pY2tz?=, Jan 18, 2006
  4. RE: JIT Debugging error when trying to exec app external to ASP.NE

    Thanks for your response Snicks,

    So your dev box is WINXP, by default the ASP.NET running process idenitity
    should be machine/ASPNET account... You can check the "aspnet_wp.exe"
    process's account in task manager when running asp.net application to
    confirm this....

    Also, the filemon tool is not a build-in tool, you need to download it from
    sysinternals website, it's a freeware:

    #Filemon for Windows
    http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/filemon.html

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?c25pY2tz?= <>
    | Subject: RE: JIT Debugging error when trying to exec app external to
    ASP.NE
> [...]
    | > after
    | > | saving it to the server file system I need to run a macro embedded in
    the
    | > | PPT. macrun.exe opens the PPT and runs the macro.
    | > |
    | > | I've tried other methods of execing the program with similar results:
    | > |
    | > | Shell("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CALC.EXE")
    | > | 'Shell(MDEPDirStr & "macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    | > | 'Shell(MDEPDirStr & "macrun.exe " & sPPTOut)
    | > |
    | > | Dim sPPTOut As String
    | > | sPPTOut = MDEPDirStr + sID + ".ppt"
    | > | Dim listFiles As System.Diagnostics.Process
    | > | listFiles = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(MDEPDirStr &
    | > | "macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    | > | listFiles.WaitForExit(2000)
    | > | If listFiles.HasExited Then
    | > | 'Dim output As String = myOutput.ReadToEnd
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 19, 2006
  5. RE: JIT Debugging error when trying to exec app external to ASP.NE

    I checked aspnet_wp.exe in the task manager and the user name is ASPNET.
    I've downloaded filemon and it produces lots of data :) Outside of looking
    at the filemon output do you have any suggestions based upon the information
    I've provided so far?

    If the filemon log is required what should I send and how. Recording just a
    few seconds generated a 1.6MB file.

    Below is the code involved. Maybe you could just compile a VB.NET app with
    the macrun exe code and plug the asp.net code into an existing web site.

    Thanks Steven.

    <begin asp.net code calling macrun exe>
    Dim sPPTOut As String 'PPT basename (excludes .ppt extension)
    sPPTOut = MDEPDirStr + sID + ".ppt" '
    Dim p As New System.Diagnostics.Process
    p.Start(MDEPDirStr & "macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    'p.Start("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CALC.EXE")
    'p.Start("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\macrun.exe", sPPTOut)
    <end asp.net code calling macrun exe>

    <begin macrun (macro running exe)>
    Imports System.io
    Module StartupModule
    Public Sub Main(ByVal CmdArgs() As String)
    Dim sArg As String
    sArg = CmdArgs(0).ToUpper

    Dim oPP As PowerPoint.ApplicationClass
    Dim oPresSet As PowerPoint.Presentations
    Dim oPres As PowerPoint.PresentationClass

    'Start PowerPoint and open the presentation.
    oPP = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
    oPP.Visible = True
    oPresSet = oPP.Presentations

    oPres = oPresSet.Open(Application.StartupPath & "\" & sArg & ".ppt",
    , , True)

    'Run the macros.
    oPP.Run("'" & Application.StartupPath & "\" & sArg & ".ppt'!mymac")
    oPP.ActivePresentation.SaveCopyAs(Application.StartupPath & "\out-"
    & sArg & ".ppt")

    'Clean-up: Close the presentation and quit PowerPoint.
    oPres.Close()
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oPres)
    oPres = Nothing
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oPresSet)
    oPresSet = Nothing
    oPP.Quit()
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oPP)
    oPP = Nothing

    GC.Collect()
    End Sub
    End Module
    <end macrun (macro running exe)>

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?c25pY2tz?=, Jan 20, 2006
  6. RE: JIT Debugging error when trying to exec app external to ASP.NE

    Thanks for your response Snicks,

    Yes, filemon will logging all the file accessing operations on the machine
    which may result huge amount of data if we don't capture it carefully...
    You can use hot keys to make the stop and capture quickly...

    For the problem, I think we can try creating a simplified application to
    reproduce the problem. Since you have some file IO operation in your
    external exe app, would you try creating a simple .net exe which write a
    txt file to the certain file path to see whether it can also reproduce the
    problem?

    In addition, you can also temporarly change the ASP.NET's worker process
    identity to LOCAL SYSTEM for test, just locate the machine.config file
    under the .net framework's install dir:

    %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\machine.config

    find the <processModel> element, and change the userName from "Machine" to
    "SYSTEM"

    also, you need to restart IIS to have it take effect

> [...]

    | > ASP.NE
    | > | Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:14:02 -0800
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | I'm running the dev env on my local machine - XP. I tried to run
    | > filemon.exe
    | > | from start\run but it was not found. I checked the World Wide Web
    | > Publishing
    | > | service and it is running C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe.
    | > | inetinfo.exe has a file version of 5.1.2600.2180 and same product
    | > version.
    | > | The ASPNET user is a member of the users group. ASP.NET State
    Service
    | > was
    | > | actually not started but it was setup to log on as NT
    | > | AUTHORITY\NetworkService. I started the ASP.NET State Service, tried
    | > | reruning the app and received the same error.
    | > |
    | > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    | > |

    | > class to